100 miles, $100, 5 hours, my new baby

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

navybeansae
Bronze Member

100 miles, $100, 5 hours, my new baby

Post by navybeansae »

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I have been searching for a great deal on a Shopsmith for months. Well I think i found it, I got a 1956 Mark V Greenie with many accessories for a steal. I am so excited to restore it, especially after going through mickey's thread. Wow what a machine! I have never really done any woodworking so I'm sure I will have many questions for all the knowledgeable members on this website. Anyway here are the pictures of my Greenie in all her glory. :D

[ATTACH]11991[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11992[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11993[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11994[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11995[/ATTACH]
Attachments
All.jpg
All.jpg (30.08 KiB) Viewed 3301 times
Router.jpg
Router.jpg (35.96 KiB) Viewed 3300 times
SS left.jpg
SS left.jpg (32.37 KiB) Viewed 3304 times
Accessories.jpg
Accessories.jpg (34.37 KiB) Viewed 3301 times
SS rear.jpg
SS rear.jpg (33.84 KiB) Viewed 3301 times
farley
Platinum Member

Post by farley »

welcome and nice find
gilamonster
Gold Member

Post by gilamonster »

wow!

you got all that for a benjamin?

you should buy a lottery ticket!
DOUG in PINE

My Dad's 1956 Greenie upgraded with Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Belt Sander, SpeedIncreaser, 1-1/8hp Emerson motor and 510 tables.
boostfan
Gold Member

Post by boostfan »

From the outside it appears to be in great shape for the money
Brad
Fenton, MI
'90 SS 500 updated to 520
SS ProPlaner w/ power base, Power base, Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Jointer and Dust Collector
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Great find, another nice old shopsmith ready to serve a new generation.
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

Restoration??? That baby looks like it is ready to go to work (after you lube it). Tubes look pretty good, a little surface oxidation on the jointer. You should have a lot of fun with it. Congratulations, navybeanae! What part of Maryland are you in?
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
navybeansae
Bronze Member

Post by navybeansae »

Not only is it in great shape on the outside but the inside too. I opened it up last night cleaned out all the saw dust and lubed it. No rust on the inside and very little on the whole machine. The only problem was the power cord was dry rotted so I replaced it. I also replaced most of the other wires too, they were looking rough.
navybeansae
Bronze Member

Post by navybeansae »

SDSSmith wrote:Restoration??? That baby looks like it is ready to go to work (after you lube it). Tubes look pretty good, a little surface oxidation on the jointer. You should have a lot of fun with it. Congratulations, navybeanae! What part of Maryland are you in?
Hey Rob I'm in Patuxent River, MD. Loved SD I was stationed there for 6 years just left last October. Its been a long cold winter compared to the SD winters!
Cory in Patuxent River, MD
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Welcome to the forum Cory. Congratulations on the find, it looks to be ready to make some sawdust.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

navybeansae wrote:Hey Rob I'm in Patuxent River, MD. Loved SD I was stationed there for 6 years just left last October. Its been a long cold winter compared to the SD winters!
I feel your pain, I grew up back there and my mom is still back there. She is north of you on the North East River. Winters here just aren't the same, but I am adapting.]
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com