Jointer Feather Guard Question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ryansm7
Gold Member

Jointer Feather Guard Question

Post by ryansm7 »

I have a 4" jointer for which the Feather Guard spring is not good.

In fact... it's broken.

Question: Should I

(a) replace the spring

(b) purchase a new Feather Guard from Shopsmith http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... dretro.htm

(c) make something to take the place of the Feather Guard.

[ATTACH]12046[/ATTACH]

I'm guessing the answer is NOT c
Attachments
FeatherGuard02s.JPG
FeatherGuard02s.JPG (48.24 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
~Ryan
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

I think I'd go with A or B myself.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

I love my feather guard. Wish Shopsmith made a upgrade kit for other brand 6" and 8" jointers.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Are you certain that a replacement spring cannot be located. What does it look like? Are the jointer guards all the same?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I go with "B". The newer guard also serves as a feather board and I think is safer. However, DO NOT TRY TO RE-ENGINEER THE GUARD. Doing so could lead to a dangerous condition. Replacing just the spring is also OK but I like the new guard.
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Appears to me to be a good time (excuse) to upgrade from a cutter guard to a feather guard!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ryansm7
Gold Member

Post by ryansm7 »

[quote="JPG40504"]Appears to me to be a good time (excuse) to upgrade from a cutter guard to a feather guard!]

As much as I'd like to keep the original guard in working order, I'm going to take the advice and go with "b".

The original spring never did have a lot of tension.
Also, looking at the upgrade which has a feather board; it's probably safer.
~Ryan
johnmccrossen
Gold Member

Post by johnmccrossen »

I am pretty sure the new feather board guard uses the same spring as the old guard (a call to SS would answer that). If you do get the upgrade, I would order an extra spring also. When I screwed up the spring on my feather-board guard by turning it backwards, I replaced it with the spring from my original guard and it worked fine. Then I got an extra spring since I will probably do it again. Item # 514196.

Good Luck, John McCrossen

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/part ... xpview.htm
John McCrossen
Everett, Wa.
1954 Mk 5 SN 269454, 1955 Mk 5 SN 316013, 1960 Mk 5 SN 360792, 1962 Mk 5 SN 380102, Magna band saw, (2) jointers, (1) belt sander, (1) air compressor, (1) jig saw, (1) strip sander, (1) 20" scroll saw, DC 3300 dust collector, Sawsmith RAS, Craftsman table saw, 13" DeWalt planer, Triton 3 1/4 HP plunge router & table