online ordering

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

online ordering

Post by tomsalwasser »

I wish Shopsmith would farm out their online ordering to amazon.
Stitch
Gold Member

Post by Stitch »

tomsalwasser wrote:I wish Shopsmith would farm out their online ordering to amazon.
Why would you ever want that to happen?:eek: The online system works just fine the way it is!
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

My order for a power station manual 2 weeks ago must have fallen through the cracks. So I call last Friday. I dislike doing that because I have to sit on hold. Then someone answers and says "oh, no one has printed that out and mailed it you yet. Hopefully they will next week." Well that made me feel better :) So a week later still nothing. I guess I'll call again, sit on hold, and inquire. Maybe they'll at least let me download it.

I'm glad to hear this is doesn't happen to everyone. I know they're running lean and mean in Dayton. Lots of businesses use amazon for ordering and fulfillment. Makes it very easy to spend your money!

Best,
Tom
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

tomsalwasser wrote:My order for a power station manual 2 weeks ago must have fallen through the cracks. So I call last Friday. I dislike doing that because I have to sit on hold. Then someone answers and says "oh, no one has printed that out and mailed it you yet. Hopefully they will next week." Well that made me feel better :) So a week later still nothing. I guess I'll call again, sit on hold, and inquire. Maybe they'll at least let me download it.

I'm glad to hear this is doesn't happen to everyone. I know they're running lean and mean in Dayton. Lots of businesses use amazon for ordering and fulfillment. Makes it very easy to spend your money!

Best,
Tom
It sounds as though your order has been taken by the online ordering system but it is not being filled. Two different operations. My hope for you is that when they copy/print this document it comes out quality.
MarkFive510
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

Shopsmith was using a "Just In Time" (JIT) manufacturing and supply system. Many items are only assemblied and/or ordered/made after they have a purchase request. The volume of orders do not allow Shopsmith to expand or hire more people at this time. They are trying to exist as a company as many other businesses have failed in the past few years. Their customer service is still outstanding when comparing my experience with similar size companies. I find talking to any Shopsmith CS person solves any supply problems I believed I might have when ordering.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
jb41339
Gold Member

Post by jb41339 »

tomsalwasser wrote:I wish Shopsmith would farm out their online ordering to amazon.
I certainly agree with you! Amazon is the BEST online ordering company....no one else is even close!
GO BUCKEYES!!
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

Oh my**********************Oh my he has set them off. :eek: Im sure he did not know.

But that wont stop them. They***************cannot be stopped. They wont********************be stopped. But after all they are the defenders it is their calling. Where**********would we be without them?:)

If **************only he could take it back. Oh my***************but it is to late. The flogging has already begun. What*****************should I do. I don't want to be in the middle of this.

Good luck Tom! I'll*****************be hiding under a rock until normalcy returns. ;) :D

Mark

2017 Power Pro Mark 7
2002 50th anniversary model 520
and a few other woodworking tools.
Stitch
Gold Member

Why do business through Amazon

Post by Stitch »

Please tell me, Tom, what would be improved if the online ordering system at Shopsmith was to be turned over to Amazon. Please be specific.

What is so special about doing business through Amazon.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Hiding under rocks(like a grounghog) is not necessary! But yer 'description' purty accurately describes past experience!;)

However It needs to be pointed out that the 'ordering' method/system/players is NOT the problem!

Fulfillment is the 'issue' here.

In addition to 'Just In Time', we need to understand 'First Chance I Get'.

Amazon IMHO merely provides broader 'exposure' and order entry is not the reason folks 'use' it.

I will leave it for others to adamantly defend and chastise!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

mbcabinetmaker wrote:Oh my**********************Oh my he has set them off. :eek: Im sure he did not know.
LOL Mark I hope I haven't inadvertently breached some unwritten rule. Actually this ordering problem was fate intervening to save me from spending money needlessly. Someone let me know that based on all the great information I've received on various threads lately that I already know what's in the manual. So I called and cancelled the order :)

But Amazon really makes it so easy for small companies to look like big companies at the point it really matters: when a customer is ready to buy. If you go to amazon and look for something you're interested, you'll see it can be sold by amazon or by another organization or individual. I only buy if it says "Fulfilled by Amazon" regardless if it is sold by Amazon or Tool King or what have you. That way I know I'll get it in two days with free shipping and no sales tax.

Now back to woodworking. I just read the new owner rules and suggestions from JPG's reply to Kenten and I realize I am seriously deficient in the lubrication department. Thank you all!

Best,
Tom