1984 shopsmith

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kacz7895
Bronze Member

1984 shopsmith

Post by kacz7895 »

I might be getting a 1984 shopsmith given to me. My questions its been rarly used and what comes with it. Its going to be given to me for freewhat king of problems am i going to have to get this thing operational and running
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

kacz7895 wrote:I might be getting a 1984 shopsmith given to me. My questions its been rarly used and what comes with it. Its going to be given to me for freewhat king of problems am i going to have to get this thing operational and running
Very hard to say. Just because it is old (1984 vintage) means very little - that really is not old - it just is not new. Where it has been, how it was stored and how it had been maintained are more important factors.

All you can do is wait and see.:)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

If it really was rarely used and if it was stored indoors, all you probably need to do is plug it in, turn the power switch on, and start using it.
My Shopsmith is an 1981 model, and has been used constantly. Other than two small repairs this last winter, it has had no other repairs made to it. Mine has been either in my garage, my basement, or my Dad's basement since new. If they are taken care of, you can use them for many years as is.
jpalmer59
Bronze Member

Post by jpalmer59 »

Mine is a 1982 and it runs fine. I use it almost every day. I replaced the belts about 10 years ago because they were slipping a little. Other that that and a new switch and routine waxing and cleaning it works like a charm.
Joel Palmer
Mesquite Texas
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am concerned that no mention was made of lubricating the sheaves in the posts immediately above(2x).

They will run a long time without it, but much much longer with it!

Der book says every 10 hrs run time!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
spiderclimber
Gold Member

Post by spiderclimber »

I know it has been said before on many post topics, but don't turn it on when you first get it. You need to oil it first or it may not work quite the way you want it to. There is a sawdust session on that. For the sawdust session and other helpful tips check out the new owner thread located Here It has some helpful insight as to what to do first and how not to screw up your machine.

Also remember, don't adjust the speed without the machine on unless you adjusting it to oil it before starting. Then turn the spindle with the 12" disc sander while adjusting the speed slowly. This way you can adjust the speed to get to the oil port without turning the power on. This is the only time I would adjust the speed with the machine turned off.
fiatben
Platinum Member

shhhh

Post by fiatben »

an '84 is old? don't tell my '55 that!

good luck with your new toy
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

fiatben wrote:an '84 is old? don't tell my '55 that!

good luck with your new toy
Or my '47'!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Welcome to the forum Kacz.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob