Shopsmith "referb"

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gat_76
Gold Member

Shopsmith "referb"

Post by gat_76 »

I say refurbishment because it is far from a restoration. I only want it operating well, disregarding looks.

if i i knew a few days ago, what i know now, i would have found a SS in better condition. but, too late. need to finish what i start. I want to get to cutting.

I did want to post on here my progress because you guys are the only people who know that kind of time and effort it takes to get one of these bad boys from out of shape to making saw dust.

since i care not for looks, i am polishing every metal contact point, specially where there is movement. i am removing rust and protecting from future rust. and i WILL make the tables as smooth as i can.

I guess there is a new-member limitation on posting pics directly.

*edit: here is a closer look at what it looked like when i got it home, BTW: http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c115/ ... croped.jpg

my motor housing that was rusted to heck. i ground, prepped, primed, and painted.

my way tubes that i spent 3 hours on today because i dont want to have to replace them and i want everything sliding well. rust does not shine, so they did not shine when i started.

here is an extension table that WOULD NOT go into the holes. after rust removal and diligent polishing, it is like butter.

parts from the head stock that were rusted and corroded that i have cleaned so far. and the casing that i have cleaned and polished all ports, specially the ports for the way tubes.

i reckon most wont look at the pictures, because most have done it yourself, but i posted anyway.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Looks like your doing a good job there. Ya have any before pics?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

gat_76 wrote:I say refurbishment because it is far from a restoration. I only want it operating well, disregarding looks.

if i i knew a few days ago, what i know now, i would have found a SS in better condition. but, too late. need to finish what i start. I want to get to cutting.

I did want to post on here my progress because you guys are the only people who know that kind of time and effort it takes to get one of these bad boys from out of shape to making saw dust.

since i care not for looks, i am polishing every metal contact point, specially where there is movement. i am removing rust and protecting from future rust. and i WILL make the tables as smooth as i can.

I guess there is a new-member limitation on posting pics directly.

*edit: here is a closer look at what it looked like when i got it home, BTW: http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c115/gat_76/public%20stuff/?action=view&current=SScroped.jpg

my motor housing that was rusted to heck. i ground, prepped, primed, and painted.
http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c115/gat_76/?action=view&current=c84568f4.jpg

my way tubes that i spent 3 hours on today because i dont want to have to replace them and i want everything sliding well. rust does not shine, so they did not shine when i started.
http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c115/gat_76/?action=view&current=09d47fcc.jpg

here is an extension table that WOULD NOT go into the holes. after rust removal and diligent polishing, it is like butter.
http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c115/gat_76/?action=view&current=f0ba5451.jpg

parts from the head stock that were rusted and corroded that i have cleaned so far. and the casing that i have cleaned and polished all ports, specially the ports for the way tubes.
http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c115/gat_76/?action=view&current=03bf97bd.jpg

i reckon most wont look at the pictures, because most have done it yourself, but i posted anyway.
I looked and I've done it. Good job! Where are you located?
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

I looked at all your pics and all I can say is good show very nice job and yes been there and done that 3 times now and most recently on my new to me Mark V 500 1983 vintage. They clean up nicely regardless of negligence and as you can see they are worth the effort for sure. You will be very pleased you have done all you have once you are finished. You should replace all the bearings while you have it apart. If it was as rusty and in bad shape as you say the bearing s almost assuredly will need replacing and you have it all apart now so this is the time to do it.
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
gat_76
Gold Member

Post by gat_76 »

wannabewoodworker wrote: If it was as rusty and in bad shape as you say the bearing s almost assuredly will need replacing.
im inclined to keep them, i have worked with bearings a bit before and these seem fine. the one bearing in the quill is a very slight lag, but it is almost new like the others. (i saw a youtube video of nick and he tested a quill, you could hear the grind of the bearing but he said it was perfect.)

this machine was rebuilt in the las 5 years, so all the bearings are new except the one in the control shive, and that one i AM replacing (ordered it today). the reason the bottom was rusted, almost through the steal, is because it had laid on its side for a time. the rest of the head stock only had blotchy, thin, patches of rust because it was imideatly neglected. if it was sprayed with oil or something, before it was neglected, it would have been fine. except the one side it was laying on.

I say this, not to argue, but im also inclined to think that your experiance trumps my judgment. so tell me what you think? bearings do look new, NO play in any of them, I can not hear any kind of grind, the seals are FAR from dry and cracking.

(i over think things some time)

and BEEG, i edited a before picture in the post.
gat_76
Gold Member

Post by gat_76 »

and if the quill/spindle bearing goes bad, i can update with a 2-bearing replacement.
gat_76
Gold Member

Post by gat_76 »

SDSSmith wrote:I looked and I've done it. Good job! Where are you located?

Midland, Texas
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

I only said to replace them now because you have everything apart and it is easy now. But if they test out fine and don't free spin then they are probably fine. I do them just as a matter of course because they are quite inexpensive and it is cheap insurance against future trouble with the rotating assemblies. I didn't mean to tell you what to do I was just attempting to save you some future headaches of having to rip it all apart again to replace a bearing that could easily be replaced now that is all. Like i said if they seem to test fine and look/feel good then by all means skip it and go to town making sawdust.....Again great job on the refurb it is looking very nice indeed.
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
gat_76
Gold Member

Post by gat_76 »

wannabewoodworker wrote:I only said to replace them now because you have everything apart and it is easy now. But if they test out fine and don't free spin then they are probably fine. I do them just as a matter of course because they are quite inexpensive and it is cheap insurance against future trouble with the rotating assemblies. I didn't mean to tell you what to do I was just attempting to save you some future headaches of having to rip it all apart again to replace a bearing that could easily be replaced now that is all. Like i said if they seem to test fine and look/feel good then by all means skip it and go to town making sawdust.....Again great job on the refurb it is looking very nice indeed.

cool, i really started second guessing. i went and checked them all again. i still might do it since im paranoid and you make a VERY good point : /
thanks

once i thought about it, i was also worried about having to press bearings on the shafts.
gat_76
Gold Member

Post by gat_76 »

wannabewoodworker wrote: I didn't mean to tell you what to do I was just attempting to save you some future headaches of having to rip it all apart again to replace a bearing that could easily be replaced now that is all.

lol, read your post again. just for the record: advice, tips, and pointers are accepted and appreciated. I am fully aware of my experience "deficit" :)