SPT build dates

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jamiethesquid
Silver Member

SPT build dates

Post by jamiethesquid »

First off I promise to get some pictures posted this weekend and start a refirb/resto thread with my before and after pics.

So I am redoing a 1954 Mark 5 and want to determine the age of the 4"
Joiner and Magna Bandsaw, any help would be great.

Second, I am disassembling the Mark 5 and stripping the paint (which is black painted over the original green. After removing the way tube tie and power head. I want to remove the way tubes to polish them up as best as I can. One way tube was loose already and with a little wiggle came right out. The second one seems to be held in by it's set screw. Looking at the set screw it seems that the only way I will be able to reach it is if I remove the pivot pin. Which seems to be held in place by a roll pin. With a long Allen key I may be able to access the set screw but regardless I would like to fully disassemble to paint and resto. So how do I get this roll pin out. It seems like the only way to go is to drive it in deeper. Thanks
June of 1954, Mark 5, SN 271605
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jamiethesquid wrote:First off I promise to get some pictures posted this weekend and start a refirb/resto thread with my before and after pics.

Second, I am disassembling the Mark 5 and stripping the paint (which is black painted over the original green. After removing the way tube tie and power head. I want to remove the way tubes to polish them up as best as I can. One way tube was loose already and with a little wiggle came right out. The second one seems to be held in by it's set screw. Looking at the set screw it seems that the only way I will be able to reach it is if I remove the pivot pin. Which seems to be held in place by a roll pin. With a long Allen key I may be able to access the set screw but regardless I would like to fully disassemble to paint and resto. So how do I get this roll pin out. It seems like the only way to go is to drive it in deeper. Thanks
With a long allen wrench you can get to the set screw without removing the pivot pin. It is not easy but it can be done. Make certain that you get the allen wrench properly inserted into the allen screw. You really do not want to strip out the socket in that setscrew.

Removing the pivot pin is not necessarily a piece of cake operation. The drift pin can be hard to extract. If you chose to do that, I strongly recommend that you use a properly sized pin punch. Using a make shift tool can introduce a problem here too.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

I have had good success with a 5/32" pin punch for removing the pin in the base arm. My 1/8" pin punch gets a pretty good workout on other roll pins found on the Mark V.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

jamiethesquid wrote:First off I promise to get some pictures posted this weekend and start a refirb/resto thread with my before and after pics.

The build dates can often be figured out from the links on this page.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
ddvann79
Gold Member

Post by ddvann79 »

I haven't had any luck reaching the set screw without removing the base arm pin. It just takes a pin punch (or flat ground nail) to knock the roll pin out to remove the base arm pin. This image shows the location of the pin in the upper right corner. However, JPG's photo also shows that the set screw CAN be reached with a 5/32" allen wrench.

Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie
jamiethesquid
Silver Member

Thanks again

Post by jamiethesquid »

Thanks again for all the great info. I guess I didn't look closely enough the first time around to see a hole for the roll pin to come out. I have a set of steel and a set of brass drift pins so I will definitely employ them in removing the pin. It just didn't appear that there was a place for the pin to go. I will take a closer look after work tonight. Thanks
June of 1954, Mark 5, SN 271605
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jamiethesquid wrote:Thanks again for all the great info. I guess I didn't look closely enough the first time around to see a hole for the roll pin to come out. I have a set of steel and a set of brass drift pins so I will definitely employ them in removing the pin. It just didn't appear that there was a place for the pin to go. I will take a closer look after work tonight. Thanks
I'm sure that it does not need to be said but if you are going to pull the pivot pin - remove every thing from the way tubes before you attempt to do that.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:I'm sure that it does not need to be said but if you are going to pull the pivot pin - remove every thing from the way tubes before you attempt to do that.
Better yet, remove the way tubes!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

[quote="JPG40504"]Better yet, remove the way tubes!]

If he could remove both way tubes, we would not be having this discussing. He cannot get the set screw out. OR I am the one who does not read the posts.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:If he could remove both way tubes, we would not be having this discussing. He cannot get the set screw out. OR I am the one who does not read the posts.

Good point! I did not think that through!:o

However the pin has nothing to do with removing the set screw. The hinge pin need not be removed. It is just easier if it is out of the way.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange