JUst got a new ER need to know some information

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Shop_Smith_Poppi
Gold Member

JUst got a new ER need to know some information

Post by Shop_Smith_Poppi »

First off sorry I do not have a picture of it yet to post here. yesterday my friend gave me.... Yes I said gave me a model ER Serial number 54 (8 or 3) 36 Shopsmith.

He has been a very good friend to me and now I will never be able to repay him for this. Except today I told him he was helping me restore it. Which I hope to post the progress here on this forum for you guys to share we us.

So the serial number is 54836 or 54336 I am not sure as the plate is damaged and it is unreadable.

How can I find out which one it is?

How do I know what year it is?

Does anyone here have a manual for this SS that i can down load?

I plan to totally restore this SS but I am thinking about using Black and Gold as the paint so I guess it will be a custom restore.

I have read the posts that mickyd did on his 56 by the way I am very impressed by the workmanship you did on that SS very good work there and your posts were very detailed and helpful again thank you for your work on that as well.

So now the home work begins for me some of you might remember I had a Mark VII, I was trying to refinish some years back. Well I no longer have that machine as someone stole it. So I do still most of the accessories from that SS which the thief did not get. And a few parts and other things as well.

I did plug this machine in and the motor hummed along so I know it works it is just in bad shape. I hope to get some pictures up soon but for now I will try and describe it.

It has a wooden base looks home made with 4x4 posts on the corners and steel caster wheels under each. It has four 2x6's for the top.

It also looks alot like the pic in mickyd avatar except mine in not as purdy!

Post again as soon as possible.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Shop_Smith_Poppi wrote:First off sorry I do not have a picture of it yet to post here. yesterday my friend gave me.... Yes I said gave me a model ER Serial number 54 (8 or 3) 36 Shopsmith.

He has been a very good friend to me and now I will never be able to repay him for this. Except today I told him he was helping me restore it. Which I hope to post the progress here on this forum for you guys to share we us.

So the serial number is 54836 or 54336 I am not sure as the plate is damaged and it is unreadable.

How can I find out which one it is?

How do I know what year it is?

Does anyone here have a manual for this SS that i can down load?

I plan to totally restore this SS but I am thinking about using Black and Gold as the paint so I guess it will be a custom restore.

I have read the posts that mickyd did on his 56 by the way I am very impressed by the workmanship you did on that SS very good work there and your posts were very detailed and helpful again thank you for your work on that as well.

So now the home work begins for me some of you might remember I had a Mark VII, I was trying to refinish some years back. Well I no longer have that machine as someone stole it. So I do still most of the accessories from that SS which the thief did not get. And a few parts and other things as well.

I did plug this machine in and the motor hummed along so I know it works it is just in bad shape. I hope to get some pictures up soon but for now I will try and describe it.

It has a wooden base looks home made with 4x4 posts on the corners and steel caster wheels under each. It has four 2x6's for the top.

It also looks alot like the pic in mickyd avatar except mine in not as purdy!

Post again as soon as possible.

[ATTACH]12853[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12854[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12855[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12856[/ATTACH]

e-mail me if you want a pdf of manual
Attachments
10 er owners guide table of contents.pdf
(813.51 KiB) Downloaded 435 times
10 er owners guide cover.pdf
(542.86 KiB) Downloaded 524 times
10 er parts exploded view.pdf
(294.55 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
10 er parts list.pdf
(294.55 KiB) Downloaded 473 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shopsmith10ERusers/
This is the ER group run by Skip, you will find a lot of informaton there but the first is you will see is that they did not keep very good records on numbers and the year sold. Skip has been tracking these for years and has come up with a close date for serial numbers, I have rebuild two of them so far and still have 5 of them at the shop, two I use along with my two MKV's Still have a MKVII and a Shopsmith RAS to rebuild in storage yet. Good luck and hope to see you on the ER site also. My Avatar is one of the ER's I got from an original owner that was delivered in 1952 to his house from Mongomery Wards. I use this one weekly
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
Shop_Smith_Poppi
Gold Member

hey thanks for the info on the other forum. And could you possible send me a full picture of your ER.
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

I looked at the documentation and it looks like your ER was built in middle to late 1952. Hope that helps some. I will get you some pictures of the Two ER's I am using tomorrow. The rest are broken down and waiting to be rebuilt.
Attached are the pictures of my first rebuild before and after. A guy from Springfield came to Broken Arrow to get it last year.
Sorry I have not figured how to put pictures right on the page.
Attachments
first er rebuild before.jpg
first er rebuild before.jpg (76.78 KiB) Viewed 2207 times
My first rebuild.jpg
My first rebuild.jpg (39.59 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
Shop_Smith_Poppi
Gold Member

Ok finally got some pictures here but I warn you not as good as I thought they were.

This what I have not much but what can you say when it was free.

Not sure what this piece is but i do see it is broken.

Looks rough but hopefully it will look better by the end of summer!

Homemade Lathe rest looks like crap if you ask me will have to get a new one.
"Jerry! how many times do I have to tell you! Lick that knife before you put it back in the butter!" ..... Jerry Clower's Mother.
Shop_Smith_Poppi
Gold Member

More pictures!

This is why I cant make out what the serial number is.
tt.com/albums/w29/thatdarndawg/Shop%20Smith/100_0654.jpg[/IMG]

The guy who had this SS did not care too much for how it looked. Or how he took care of it. I guess he tried to move the switch at one time but then moved it back.

Looks like I will have to build a new name Plate!

I don't think this is the original Work table for this machine and i really don't like it either.
"Jerry! how many times do I have to tell you! Lick that knife before you put it back in the butter!" ..... Jerry Clower's Mother.
Shop_Smith_Poppi
Gold Member

The pictures were taken in my friends Muffler Shop where it now lives for the time being. It is also where we will be doing the restoring work as well.
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

Your 10ER is equipped with the special headrest for the 4E jointer. Unfortunately, it appears as thought jointer mounting plate is broken and the jointer is missing.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
Shop_Smith_Poppi
Gold Member

SDSSmith wrote:Your 10ER is equipped with the special headrest for the 4E jointer. Unfortunately, it appears as thought jointer mounting plate is broken and the jointer is missing.
Well that stinks! So does anyone know what the headrest looks like maybe I can repair it. Also my friend Jim said there was a jointer but he does not know where it is. I will ask him about it. Maybe we can track it down.