Homemade Sliding T-nut

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

onetrack
Gold Member

Homemade Sliding T-nut

Post by onetrack »

Rather than hijack the "Getting Accustomed to the Table Saw" thread where t-nuts are discussed at some length, I am starting a new thread.

Here is a homemade sliding T-nut that I just completed. Cold Rolled Steel, 1/4-20 and 3/8-16 threads. Fits in the t-slots of the 510 table and fence.

I will be pleased to post dimensional drawings if anyone wants to make their own.

onetrack
Attachments
SlidingTnut.jpg
SlidingTnut.jpg (376.22 KiB) Viewed 5927 times
holsgo
Platinum Member

Post by holsgo »

Milled yourself I assume?
Well done.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

onetrack wrote:Rather than hijack the "Getting Accustomed to the Table Saw" thread where t-nuts are discussed at some length, I am starting a new thread.

Here is a homemade sliding T-nut that I just completed. Cold Rolled Steel, 1/4-20 and 3/8-16 threads. Fits in the t-slots of the 510 table and fence.

I will be pleased to post dimensional drawings if anyone wants to make their own.

onetrack

Make it so Please!:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
onetrack
Gold Member

Post by onetrack »

Here is a drawing of the Sliding T-nut. I have posted it in PDF and JPG.

I have access to a milling machine, so this kind of project is fun for a machining amateur like me.

onetrack
Attachments
T-nut.jpg
T-nut.jpg (37.61 KiB) Viewed 5788 times
T-nut.PDF
(49.95 KiB) Downloaded 1644 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

onetrack wrote:Here is a drawing of the Sliding T-nut. I have posted it in PDF and JPG.

I have access to a milling machine, so this kind of project is fun for a machining amateur like me.

onetrack

THANK YOU!:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

onetrack wrote:Rather than hijack the "Getting Accustomed to the Table Saw" thread where t-nuts are discussed at some length, I am starting a new thread.

onetrack
On top of being french speaking, I am not familiar with Cold Rolled Steel.
Does it exist in this shape of a "T" or did you have to shape it like that. I wish I knew someone that could make me some of those.
As far as making holes in it I guess I could use a tap and do it (maybe it's the dye ...?) Or may be I could'nt do it ... ?
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
onetrack
Gold Member

Post by onetrack »

I started with 1/4 x 1 AISI C1018 Cold Rolled Steel, commonly known as CRS or cold drawn steel. It has smooth, accurate dimensions. The width needed to be reduced to 0.91 using a milling machine. Both edges need to have material removed to prevent warping.

Then the notches have to be milled in. Then it is a simple matter to drill and tap.

If you place a value on your time, you are better off buying one or two of these http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/swd_slidingnuts.htm

however, if you are looking for a good beginners metalwork project for the mill, you can make these yourself.

onetrack
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

Thanks for those precisions ....
I guess I will have to order some from SS when they decide to sell directly to us or else go through a friendly neighbour .
Yours look better and are longer !
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
onetrack
Gold Member

Post by onetrack »

This Toronto Shopsmith vendor will sell you the Shopsmith Sliding T-nuts via mail, if you are interested.

http://www.allinonewood.com/

You might want to telephone them, since I have had poor response from them via email.

onetrack
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

I know this place pretty well thank you.
I would be surprise that they have stock.
I will make myself some and thank you for all the info.
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw