Bowl wobbles when turning

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bach939
Silver Member

Bowl wobbles when turning

Post by bach939 »

I have a Greenie that is in fairly good condition. However, when turning a bowl and use some pressure with the bowl gouge, I get a vibration and can see the outer edge of the bowl wobble. Is there a bearing in the quill assembly that needs replacing or is it the problem with a single bearing quill? Is there any up grades that will solve the problem?

Thanks
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Sounds like it's time for a new bearing in the quill. This should eliminate the wobble, but chatter likely will continue when turning bowls.

Upgrading to the two bearing quill is an option, but expensive as you need to swap out all of the gilmer belt parts for the poly-v ones. (The two-bearing quill upgrade sold by Shopsmith can't be used without replacing the other poly-v parts.)

You might want to check with Bill Mayo on this forum for a two-bearing greenie quill he has modified.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
billmayo
Platinum Member

Two Bearing Gilmer Quill

Post by billmayo »

pennview wrote:Sounds like it's time for a new bearing in the quill. This should eliminate the wobble, but chatter likely will continue when turning bowls.

Upgrading to the two bearing quill is an option, but expensive as you need to swap out all of the gilmer belt parts for the poly-v ones. (The two-bearing quill upgrade sold by Shopsmith can't be used without replacing the other poly-v parts.)

You might want to check with Bill Mayo on this forum for a two-bearing greenie quill he has modified.
I have not had much success with the past few years adding a second bearing to the Gilmer quill due to excessive machining tolerance by the machine shops I used. However last month, I have found a machinest who has the correct & proper equipment in his home shop. He has machined a few Gilmer quills for me that I still have to pick up and do some final testing of his work. I am having the machining for the second bearing located behind the front quill bearing and also use of various width spacers between the 2 bearings.

Check with me (annbill.mayo@comcast.net) in a couple weeks. If his machining is within my tolerance, I will be offering both complete Gilmer and/or Poly-V quills machined for double bearings and/or will machine your quill(s) for 2 new bearings.

Picture 303 is my setup for checking quill shafts as I find about 25% of the quill shafts are bent (.002"-.020").
[ATTACH]13856[/ATTACH]
Picture 304 is my setup for checking the shaft and bearings.
[ATTACH]13857[/ATTACH]
Picture 306 is my setup for straightening the bandsaw wheels. I find about 1/3 of the bandsaw wheels needs straightening.
[ATTACH]13858[/ATTACH]
Attachments
100_0303.JPG
100_0303.JPG (74.57 KiB) Viewed 1658 times
100_0304.JPG
100_0304.JPG (68.68 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
100_0306.JPG
100_0306.JPG (67.53 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
foxtrapper
Gold Member

Post by foxtrapper »

How much pressure are you using? You really shouldn't need hardly any pressure. So, how sharp are your tools?
bach939
Silver Member

Post by bach939 »

foxtrapper wrote:How much pressure are you using? You really shouldn't need hardly any pressure. So, how sharp are your tools?
Tools are sharp and I don't need to use a lot of pressure. However, when I am gouging the inside near the outer edge of a bowl is where I get the wobble.
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

1. Is the wood green? Maybe it's starting to warp as it gets thinner.

2. Are you hollowing most of the bowl first, then going back to finish up near the edge? Maybe there's not enough mass left in the bottom of the bowl to minimize warpage. You could try taking the first inch of the bowl to final thickness, then working on the next inch, etc., which should keep any warping to a minimum.

Gary
bach939
Silver Member

Post by bach939 »

greitz wrote:1. Is the wood green? Maybe it's starting to warp as it gets thinner.

2. Are you hollowing most of the bowl first, then going back to finish up near the edge? Maybe there's not enough mass left in the bottom of the bowl to minimize warpage. You could try taking the first inch of the bowl to final thickness, then working on the next inch, etc., which should keep any warping to a minimum.

Gary
On the inside I work from the lip of the bowl and work my way to the center/inword to be sure there is as much mass as possible. I got a new quill bearing today so I'll see if that helps. I had to change the motor bearing so I'm thinking the other bearing need attention. This Greenie was given to me a few month ago so I don't know the maintenance history. It's not in the best of shape.