Front Door Refresh

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john
Platinum Member

Re: Front Door Refresh

Post by john »

Congratulations!

That is one fine looking door!

John
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

bainin wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:10 pm Yeah- we got a quote from a "door" installer , actually 2 different ones. Both told us that they don't simply install doors...no they bring in the heavy lifting equipment and replace the entire door/frame and surrounding accent windows etc as a unit. They were ranging in installed costs of $6000-10000 which was way more than I was willing to throw at a door. The argument is its the only way they can ensure their insulation ratings or whatever the that they quote. Uh huh. For that much money I could put up solar panels and run the AC and heat with all the windows and doors wide open
I assume your door with surrounding sidelights was installed as a single piece when the house was new. It's probably even easier to install the whole unit in a rough opening than to precisely hang a single door.
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

RFGuy wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:34 am Just wondering if anyone has built their own wood doors for their house before? I have thought about taking it on, but not sure I can get lumber dry & straight enough to attempt it. Anyone have experience with this?
I built a wood storm door. I had to order the clear fir, and I prepped it myself on the Shopsmith and Shopsmith planer. I used standard mortise and tenon joints. Then, I painted the outside and clear-finished the inside. I think it's imperative to make sure all surfaces are sealed with something. Since the door went up this Spring, I took a hand plane to one section of it. Did the wood move? Was it always out-of-square? Who knows? But, it's been great ever since.

My dream is to build old-fashioned double-doors for the garage.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

davebodner wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:18 pm I built a wood storm door. I had to order the clear fir, and I prepped it myself on the Shopsmith and Shopsmith planer. I used standard mortise and tenon joints. Then, I painted the outside and clear-finished the inside. I think it's imperative to make sure all surfaces are sealed with something. Since the door went up this Spring, I took a hand plane to one section of it. Did the wood move? Was it always out-of-square? Who knows? But, it's been great ever since.

My dream is to build old-fashioned double-doors for the garage.
Thanks Dave. Good to know. My double front doors need to be redone on my house and still trying to decide whether to go forward with it or not. Definitely worth considering, but I know it will be a pain to hang if I don't replace the door jam along with it.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Wiliarsham
Bronze Member

Post by Wiliarsham »

At first, I wanted to make my front doors for our new house, but it turned out to be more difficult than I thought. The door was not as strong as I imagined, and while I was processing it and polishing it, unfortunately, it broke. Therefore, I decided first to order a high-quality door from Belldinni and maybe change it to the one I will do myself in the future. But I think it will not happen soon because I have a lot of work to do and earn money for my family. But I wouldn't refuse the advice to won't spoil the materials for the next door again.