Stains on poplar

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Stains on poplar

Post by wrmnfzy »

My wife is preparing to stain a poplar fireplace mantle with a mixture of two stains to make the finished product like she wants. Should she or does she need to seal poplar first?
I am terrible at finishing so I’m no help.
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Re: Stains on poplar

Post by thunderbirdbat »

My opinion would be to seal it first. Some pieces of poplar take stain really well while others pieces do not. If you look at the pictures of the pie boxes, you can see where some of the poplar did not stain evenly while other pieces did. viewtopic.php?p=275518#p275518 I would also suggest your wife try out her chosen stain on a couple of pieces of poplar to see how it looks both with and without sealer.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Stains on poplar

Post by edma194 »

Agree with the above. Poplar is unpredictable with stains, rapidly absorbing them in some places, repelling them in others. Using a sealer will help out with that. A light stain won't show as much in worst spots but will still highlight any gray heartwood.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER