Dec 2nd in IL, nice day for projects

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Dec 2nd in IL, nice day for projects

Post by reible »

sehast wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:55 am Thanks, Ed. Most of my limitations for a vertical cut setup are of my own making. The ProStop auxiliary fence that I have installed does not allow me to move the Kapex fences with the after market aluminum Zero Clearance Fence plates mounted far enough out of the way and currently I only have one kerf inset. The kerf insert is easily fixed but deconfliction with the auxiliary ProStop fence is more problematic. So far it has not been an issue because the width of the stock I have needed to cut has been less than 4.75" so I use the special cutting position to make the cuts vertically up against the fence. I will have to further evaluate my options.
Yes now I recall you have the ProStop, that would make it difficult to do some of these odd cuts but sure nice for the general everyday cutting.

Yes I love the ability to do the vertical material placement for cuts and that could have been used for my project if it hadn't been too tall for it. I had thought about ripping the width and then reassembling but not practical for this project.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

RCZ wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:09 pm ...
Do you have a track saw? I've been thinking about how a jig would be made to make those cuts you have, using a track saw. That might have the advantage of easier repeatability of cut length and also no limitation on the width of the work piece.

I think you mentioned using PVC. I have some PVC biscuits left over from a job long ago and won't ever use them. If you can use them let me know and I will send them to you.
Yes I have the Festool TS55 and tracks. Again the cuts up to the areas of 45 degrees are no problem but once past that most saws have issues.

It has been fun making things out of the PVC but the recent price increases have make it go out of my price range. More then likely my last PVC project unless things change a lot.

Thanks for the offer of the biscuits. Right now I don't have a use for them.

Right now I can't seem to find my can of PVC trim glue. I can find my two part PVC pipe glue but I don't want to see that color. Got to be here somewhere. It looks like a glue up today isn't going to happen.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Well after some hours of searching it is found!
foundcan.jpg
foundcan.jpg (170.72 KiB) Viewed 3072 times
To be honest the search was also a time of cleaning up and putting things away so well worth the effort and time. Even found a few other things that I had misplaced so all is ending well enough. Didn't get to try a glue up but no rush.

Ed
RCZ
Gold Member

Post by RCZ »

Ed

I have been cleaning out the shop, as well. I have the trash can right outside the door and my goal is to be full for Monday's trash pickup. I'm having a problem letting go of small scraps of wood, but it's time to get ruthless :) .

I didn't know that pvc cement for pipes would work on pvc trim. I always used to buy Azek and as I recall, they sold a specific cement for pvc trim. I surely don't miss cutting that stuff because of all the static cling of the pvc dust. Somewhere on a forum I read that spray sizing for ironing worked well to prevent that static cling problem. It did work fairly well, but then we had to remember to spray that stuff all over the place.

Rob
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Finally got around to a test fit using masking tape and the flat layout method. It seem to work well and I'm happy with the results. Now to try the glue up one of these days.
tria.jpg
tria.jpg (118.57 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
Ed
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

OK,
The last time I used Oatey PVC Cement was in 2007/2008. Not a thought toward that type of project for years!

BUT.... this Sunday afternoon I went down to the basement for something, and heard my sump-pump burning itself out with a stuck switch. Off to the store for a new pump, some PVC piping bits, and Oatey PVC cement! The old stuff (purple primer and clear cement) was only good for the purple can, so I restocked my cement ... thinking about Reible's post throughout :)

Chris
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

As I recall I started using Oatey because that is what they sold at the Menard's store when I went out to get some. It worked so I just kept using it.

Speaking of that I glued it up today and it is in clamps for now. More then likely done but so am I, so clamps come off tomorrow. For the front and back I need to glue to pieces together to get the height. I traced the inside on the glued up parts and then cut them with the track saw. In the picture you can see the front top to the right. Back is inside and was cut just a little short on the bottom to allow rain to leak out.

So all that is left is the hole and then I think 6 screws, more then likely the blue kreg ones since I have been using them for such projects.
bhtoday.jpg
bhtoday.jpg (179.43 KiB) Viewed 2894 times
Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Got er done before the new year!

First a shot of how the joints look. I did not go to the very edge of the material to line up the cut as I did not want a razor edge cut for a bird house, so I'm pretty happy with how that worked out.
tbh1.jpg
tbh1.jpg (166.16 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
On the back I cut the piece just short to provide for drainage. I'm not sure if this will be enough but after a year of use I can redo it slightly when I empty it out.
tbh2.jpg
tbh2.jpg (110.02 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
Next is the material from the hole. Wish I could make something out of it as it looks so cool, but I bet it is brittle.
tbh3.jpg
tbh3.jpg (193.72 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
And done until spring when I will find a spot for it outside.
tbh4.jpg
tbh4.jpg (141.04 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
This was a 12" point to point version and if I have enough material left I might do an 8" version later. Might make a table saw jig to do that.

Ed
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Those miters came out great, Ed. Was your 30-degree jig plus Kapex setup dead on on the first try, or did you have to make some test cuts and adjustments?
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

No actual test cuts but I did go longer then I first planned in case I had to do some adjustments and then have to cut again. The big problem I have with the jig is how to get a decent clamping situation.

I have plans for a table saw version that I might build as it would be a lot easier to clamp the work piece in place. I did the plans sometime ago but never got around to actually making it. It would be great for the flag case and other long angles.

Ed