Overarm Pin Router

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DadsSS
Bronze Member

Overarm Pin Router

Post by DadsSS »

Anybody know if the overarm pin router is still available for SS? Everything I see now indicates it is not as the links to it on their website simply don't work (the links are still there but they go nowhere). I am trying to level some butcher block (and then will shape some bowls and indentions in it). Going forward, I would like to use it for shaping solid body guitars. My shop is not nearly big enough for another free-standing tool.

The overhead router chuck option appears to be inadequate as I can not get it to remain cutting at the same level. I tried doing it without any extension on the quill to eliminate the possibility of slippage or variance in the quill but it did not work...still a lot of variance in the cutting level. There are marks on the 1/2" leveling router bit shaft that I am using that indicate the chuck just does not hold the bit tight enough and it may be slipping.

Now I'm in the process of building my own overarm router to go over the way tubes but it would be much preferred to purchase something that is proven to work or if somebody can tell me what I'm doing wrong with the router chuck. It is disappointing that SS stopped offering the overarm pin router since their overhead version appears to be a substandard tool and does not work well (or at all for my operation). Any information on this would be very helpful.
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Overarm Pin Router

Post by algale »

The router arm isn't in production anymore and I don't believe they have any plans to resume production.

A few years ago I got one off ebay and contacted Shopsmith and they still had some of the tables and pins. But without th
Last edited by algale on Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This might be of interest:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23651&p=270456&hili ... ac#p270456

I would have to see how you are set up now but there are a few things that come to mind when trying to achieve good results with the shopsmith in overhead routing operations. First you need to make sure the table is perpendicular to the cutter. The one direction is easy and there is a bolt that can be adjusted to make this repeatable. The left to right is a bit pickier and you end up having to come up with this by shimming the table.

Next the depth of cut has to be shallow. This means a lot of passes and having to move the quill in small steps. When you look at the above thread you will see what I have been doing. You can NOT take deep cuts, it not safe or going to give good results. You also need some sort of fence to control things.

The surface that faces the table also needs to be relatively flat. Using a belt sander or other sort of tool like a plane may be required. You might get by with just making sure the glue joints are flat, but experience will tell you if that works for you.

The last item is you have to have the proper bit. If you will be plunging, then it has to be a plunging bit. A lot of bits are designed to come in from an edge to work. I personally like to use "dishing" bits with a corner radius.

I would also like to point out that shopsmith has an older overarm pin router that is a standalone tool. I have one of those and they have some real advantages in that they can have not only the above routing but also the more conventual below the table. They do come up for sale from time to time on ebay and you are more likely to find that version.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I have been watching for the Mark mounted OAR on ebay for about two years. In that time I've seen two, both auctioned at the same time. Both went for around $400, more than I thought reasonable at the time. I also watch for one with a used Mark. I think they are relatively rare.

- David
bradb
Bronze Member

Post by bradb »

I have the Shopsmith over arm router. I really like being able to use the Shopsmith table and fence adjustments to set up the cuts. It is terrific to use in a horizontal set up as well, similar to horizontal boring.
wdelliott
Gold Member

Post by wdelliott »

I have a SS overarm pin router package that I am going to sell. I am assembling the components right now since they have been stored in a storage box, but I believe I have everything including the router table. I suppose I used the overarm router a dozen or so times, but it never quit fit into my work. I seem to remember that this discussion board is not intended for selling of Shopsmith gear and so do not want to offend the rules of this group. If someone is interested, I'm unsure of the price, but I am confident someone can guide me. I'm in Dallas if someone wanted to purchase it here, or I could ship to wherever. Please pardon me if I'm not supposed to be offering stuff for sale.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Any one interested can PM thee.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beatrizcharles
Bronze Member

Post by beatrizcharles »

I have been watching for the Mark mounted OAR on ebay for about two years