stock repair , a year old and no warranty

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: stock repair , a year old and no warranty

Post by Hobbyman2 »

nice job, that's a good looking stock .
The cracked stock could have been maple , if it was it was not considered hard maple even by my standards . the piece of wood was IMO not cut right from the factory and here is why I say that , look at the growth rings in the end of the stock, that piece had to have came from near the out side of the tree , most good stocks are cut from wood closer to the center but no into the pith , the wood is much harder , the growth rings should be a lot tighter , that almost looks like sap wood showing up in the end of the stock , a trained eye of a world renowned craftsman would have seen that before it was cut into a stock , craftsmanship is out the window and Remington was a world renowned name .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

It could easily be soft maple. It grows fast and would have larger rings. Walnut is the preferred wood for gunstocks as it has good strength, rot resistance, and isn't as heavy as some hardwoods like oak and hickory would be. Soft maple weight is similar to walnut, not as desirable, but cheaper.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Hobbyman2 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:30 am I have heard rumors that Remarms was not warrantying anything from Remington , this stock is from a 870 express , it is only a year and a
week or so old , the gun was stored in a controlled environment has had less than a 1/2 box of shells through it . purchase date was 12-30-2020 the repair was made using Gorilla glue , will post the final results when the finish dries .
That is disappointing, I hope your repair is successful. It is my understanding that warranties usually do not survive through bankruptcy because they can't be easily quantified, in contrast to most of a company's obligations and debts. Sometimes the 'new company' provides service they aren't obligated to provide in order to maintain customer good will. RemArms, according to their website, does not provide ANY written warranty on their new products either. If a customer returns a product they make a case-by-case determination on who will pay for the repair. Based on ??? I'm a bit shocked at this:

"RemArms LLC has elected not to provide any written-warranty, either "limited" or "full", rather than to attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and the regulations issued thereunder. There are certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. Firearms returned to RemArms for service will be evaluated to determine if services will be provided at a fee or free of charge."

That seems to be the complete description of their warranty.

- David
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

DLB wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:05 am
Hobbyman2 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:30 am I have heard rumors that Remarms was not warrantying anything from Remington , this stock is from a 870 express , it is only a year and a
week or so old , the gun was stored in a controlled environment has had less than a 1/2 box of shells through it . purchase date was 12-30-2020 the repair was made using Gorilla glue , will post the final results when the finish dries .
That is disappointing, I hope your repair is successful. It is my understanding that warranties usually do not survive through bankruptcy because they can't be easily quantified, in contrast to most of a company's obligations and debts. Sometimes the 'new company' provides service they aren't obligated to provide in order to maintain customer good will. RemArms, according to their website, does not provide ANY written warranty on their new products either. If a customer returns a product they make a case-by-case determination on who will pay for the repair. Based on ??? I'm a bit shocked at this:

"RemArms LLC has elected not to provide any written-warranty, either "limited" or "full", rather than to attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and the regulations issued thereunder. There are certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. Firearms returned to RemArms for service will be evaluated to determine if services will be provided at a fee or free of charge."

That seems to be the complete description of their warranty.

- David
-------------------------
Was at a local gun shop tonight and was told the exact same thing .was also told Thompson Center is completely out of business , if you see any T/C parts or tools you want or need for your T/C arms don't wait to purchase it .
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Problem is cost and profit. Manufactures are cutting cost to increase profit to make CEO's people that receive an absolutely ridiculous income. No man walking earth to day is worth in any shape or form the income many CEO's make to day. Plus the political pressure to stop manufactures from making guns is tremendous! Plus the fact that many guns bought and sold today will never be used for hunting but rather for criminal purposes or personal protection says we are screwed up. So screwed up that manufactures can produce guns where stocks crack and people seem to accept it.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Hobbyman2 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:07 pm nice job, that's a good looking stock .
The cracked stock could have been maple , if it was it was not considered hard maple even by my standards . the piece of wood was IMO not cut right from the factory and here is why I say that , look at the growth rings in the end of the stock, that piece had to have came from near the out side of the tree , most good stocks are cut from wood closer to the center but no into the pith , the wood is much harder , the growth rings should be a lot tighter , that almost looks like sap wood showing up in the end of the stock , a trained eye of a world renowned craftsman would have seen that before it was cut into a stock , craftsmanship is out the window and Remington was a world renowned name .
Where was the gun bought I would think a reliable gunsmith would stand behind the produce he sold. Even to the point of biting the bullet taking a hit on profit to replace the stock. Unless the gun was abused this should not happen. A gunsmith should make it right then be all over the manufacture. A single gun owner complaining means little or nothing to huge manufacturer, but a guy that buys hundreds of gun a year will be heard.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

You might want to consider making a new stock. Just go to a local wood supplier and pick out a nice figured piece of walnut and make a new one like I did for my rifle. There are also suppliers who sell new stocks pretty much made up, but buying online you don't get to pick out the nicest piece of wood. It is best to pick out your own wood in person.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:32 am Problem is cost and profit. Manufactures are cutting cost to increase profit to make CEO's people that receive an absolutely ridiculous income. No man walking earth to day is worth in any shape or form the income many CEO's make to day. Plus the political pressure to stop manufactures from making guns is tremendous! Plus the fact that many guns bought and sold today will never be used for hunting but rather for criminal purposes or personal protection says we are screwed up. So screwed up that manufactures can produce guns where stocks crack and people seem to accept it.

-------------------

I agree !!! not every one who buys a gun is buying it to shoot on the weekend or for hunting or as what once was a "future investment" , the cost to do the weekend thing is way too high , I also agree that most guns built today lack any kind of artistry or compassion like it once was . I get a good chuckle now and than , I have seen people spend 1k on a plastic stock AR and than spend another 2 or 3 hundred trying to make it work right and still have issues .
The gun was purchased at a BB store , any and all warranty provided has to be done by the manufacture , according to the email I received from RemArms there are only 2 shops left who were still listed as Remington certified , when I called them they both expressed their loss of business doing warranty repairs for Remington , the company went out of business , filed for bankruptcy protection with in the law so there is nothing I or any one else could do .if I bought the stock for the 150.00 I would still have to put it on myself , there is no warranty ,, I could get a used one on the net but it would still need finished to match the for end , the gun is not financially worth the additional cost .
If for some reason this repair does not work out I have a fairly nice selection of walnut to chose from . one of the sections of the log was nearly 4ft across , I had a walnut tree given to me a few years ago, the trunk was solid and close to 3ft across in the smallest place with knots and a nice crotch , finding a piece with some curly details should be doable .
I may make a new stock just because the wood on it now is not worthy of being a gunstock .
I dont think I have ever seen a piece of wood split down the grain in the way this one has other than in sapwood that was probably dried fast and hot . it was not a good piece for a gunstock from a world renowned company .
Last edited by Hobbyman2 on Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

garys wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:02 pm You might want to consider making a new stock. Just go to a local wood supplier and pick out a nice figured piece of walnut and make a new one like I did for my rifle. There are also suppliers who sell new stocks pretty much made up, but buying online you don't get to pick out the nicest piece of wood. It is best to pick out your own wood in person.
----------------------

This may happen !!I have a piece of what I hope is curly walnut . won't know the full extent until I cut it out .