Advice on additional equipment assuming Shopsmith as my initial setup

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Advice on additional equipment assuming Shopsmith as my initial setup

Post by chapmanruss »

jbwoodshop,

Some great advice has already been given. One of the best so far was garys suggesting you wait, do some projects then decide what you still need. Along those lines, I would at least think about the projects you have in mind and what you need to complete them. If the tools you have already cannot complete the job than look for additional tools. As I look for Shopsmith tools and accessories on the used market it amazes me how many items are still "new in box" being sold. A few years ago, I went to a garage sale near me that included a Mark V that had sat in the box, unused for a couple decades. Unless you like collecting tools don't buy them just to have them.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I'd be thinking of things that don't duplicate functionality I already had. Hence things that are either literally beyond the capacity of my existing equipment (whether Shopsmith or some other brand) or that while theoretically possible on my equipment are very inconvenient.

A prime example for me is breaking up sheet goods. While it is theoretically possible to so single-handedly on my 520, it is not fun! But it's also a PITA even on a big cabinet saw! So rather than a cabinet saw, I'd suggest getting a track saw like the Festool with 4 and 8 foot tracks. It's a game changer when dealing with sheet goods. I love mine!

The Shopsmith band saw is excellent, but it's re-saw capacity is stuck at 6 inches and limits some projects I'd like to try. So a larger stand alone band saw would be something I'd look at.

You have a stand alone jointer. How big? I have a 6" but if I had the shop space, I'd want an 8" with longer tables.

I'd probably also look for some deals on a used Shopmsith to make into a shorty/mini, to keep some of my SPTs more convenient to use. It always seems like when I want my belt sander, the band saw is mounted and vice-versa!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jbwoodshop
Silver Member

Post by jbwoodshop »

Wow, thank you everyone for the very well thought out advice. I do not have to hurry, but you know how it is😉
Just for some added information, I can joint 6 inches and have used my ShopSmith for several years utilizing all of its functions except as a router or shaper, so am reasonably familiar with its capabilities. Overall, I love the tool and it’s history. I have more room now, however, since retiring, 15x30 ft. and double that if I back the car out. I have dabbled in woodworking for 30+ years, but always in a highly cramped for space. I know my new shop is probably still small compared to most peoples, but for me, it is huge, hence my desire to take the luxury of changing around my workflow. The ShopSmith is an amazing tool, but most would agree one trades some conveniences for such a small footprint and degree of flexibility. I like the idea of buying a cabinet saw for the pure joy of a rock steady table that never moves with no adjustment needed and then also buy a older used model as a drill press or just focus upon horizontal boring. A larger bandsaw as someone suggested is also a really attractive idea I hadn’t thought of as I have plenty of admittedly somewhat short pieces of cherry and walnut just waiting to be re-sawn, but I had planned to begin with a chainsaw to cut them to 6 inches hopefully enabling me to get 3-6 inch wide boards.
Thank you all again, your thoughts and suggestion are highly appreciated.
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

What tools you need depends on what you make and how you like to work. If you are making primarily small items such as toys, your needs are much different than those of someone building large furniture pieces

I saw something once for photography that said that you don't need a new camera unless you find yourself hitting the limits of the camera you have. I think this also holds true for tools.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory