SS Universal Lathe Tool Rest

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

futralwoodworks
Gold Member

SS Universal Lathe Tool Rest

Post by futralwoodworks »

What are opinons on the universal lathe tool rest? Part num 555811. I turn pens on my SS and love doing it, but looking for a more versitile tool rest system. This looks like a good one.
Matt
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

futralwoodworks wrote:What are opinons on the universal lathe tool rest? Part num 555811. I turn pens on my SS and love doing it, but looking for a more versitile tool rest system. This looks like a good one.
Matt
There are really only two tool-rest options in terms of the base - the basic one and the UTR. Since you are doing pens I doubt you will see much of a difference, whereas you might see a bigger difference when doing bigger stuff like bowls or platters.

You might consider just replacing the tool rest portion itself with something different. You can get them from penn state, woodcraft, or any number of sources. Just make sure the post diameter matches (3/4").
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
farley
Platinum Member

Post by farley »

just got my and love it.

lot easier to adjust.

doesn't move where my standard one moved in the carriage slot.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

futralwoodworks wrote:What are opinons on the universal lathe tool rest? Part num 555811. I turn pens on my SS and love doing it, but looking for a more versitile tool rest system. This looks like a good one.
Matt
The UTR is a Banjo not a tool rest. I love the UTR but it works best with a modular tool rest. There are several different modular systems from Sorby, Woodcraft and many others that work with both the standard banjo and the UTR. Some companies just resell others systems under their name. If you search modular tool rest you can find many threads on the forum with details about the pros and cons of different systems. Some accessories require a 1" post, which is available with the UTR banjo.

With the UTR you may need an extender for the center, you can find discussions about that by searching the forum.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
scollins
Gold Member

Post by scollins »

Overall a great improvement over the stock one in range and usable configurations. Blew up original up on an especially gnarlly piece of oak, so having a more durable piece of metal to take the abuse is a definite plus.

Cons:
-You better not mind handling 35# everytime you switch it out.
-On mine the minimum height is just a tad too high for some of my tools (i.e. Easy Wood Tools). I can work around it when cleaning up the center of bowls, but wish it would go lower.
-Having to use an allen wrench to attach it to the carriage. Love the loosen the screw and run the tool rest in or out of the original.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

scollins wrote: Cons:
-On mine the minimum height is just a tad too high for some of my tools (i.e. Easy Wood Tools). I can work around it when cleaning up the center of bowls, but wish it would go lower.

Remember the comment about 1" shank for modular tool rests, the other problem they solve besides strength, is the tool rest sits much lower. Plus they come in hardened steel and can't be nicked by M2 tools.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
steve54
Silver Member

Utr

Post by steve54 »

Will this UTR work on a Mark V? Does the unit mount to the existing slide?
Hoping this upgrade will pacify me until the next urge hits. Maybe the Power Pro

Thanks for the replies in advance
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

steve54 wrote:Will this UTR work on a Mark V? Does the unit mount to the existing slide?
Yes it will work on the markV. It attaches to the carriage.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
sailseahawk
Gold Member

like my UTR and speed reducer

Post by sailseahawk »

I am very pleased with my UTR, as well as a speed reducer to turn bowls. Much easier than stock to to put the rest where you want it. It is a bit of work to mount and store, but turning is not normally something I normally do in the middle of complex project, so once mounted, it is on for a while.

Mine is mounted to a 1954 Mk V. :) Looking forward to upgrading the original 3/4 hp motor...I don't think it puts out that much power any more :(
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

sailseahawk wrote: . . . ..I don't think it puts out that much power any more :(
I can only think of three things that would cause diminishing power.

1 - Bearings(friction loading or internal parts alignment).

2 - Lack of air circulation(over heating) caused by dust accumulation internal to the motor.

3 - Poor electrical connection.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange