barber pole pen?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Eagleta2- You can buy 10" lengths of replacement brass tubes in the required diameter to fit whatever pen kits you're going to use. If you wrap the wood around the brass tubes instead, then dry and glue them as described, you can then just cross-cut sections to the required lengths (or a bit longer, then sand to length).

Have you checked to make sure the titebond III will not soften too much after extended soaking in water? You might have to try epoxy instead.

Sounds like a plan!

Gary
drl
Gold Member

Post by drl »

I like your idea. Greg's comment about Titebond III may have merit. I also wonder if the .125" material would be flexible enough, even when wet, to bent around a 7 mm tube. Larger pen tube may be better!?!? I might think that the surface grain would split away. But if the split doesnt go deep you may have something. I'm anxious to see how it turns out. Good luck.
Regards,
Dwight
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Eagleta2, while boiling wood in water will make it quite limber, you will not be able to wrap 1/8" thick wood around a 7mm pen tube and it's likely that the heat will cause the glued strips to separate. You could try boiling strips of veneer, but even with veneer you'd be lucky to get it wrapped around such a small radius. Woods with a coarse grain like oak, walnut, hickory, etc works best for bending. Cherry and maple not so much.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

I agree with Pennview, but what the heck, give it a shot. You just never know.

I vote for engraved wood, It's just a much cleaner look.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Engraving

Post by wrmnfzy »

Engraving, if you like contrast you can always color wipe the engraving with gold paint.
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

wrmnfzy wrote:Engraving, if you like contrast you can always color wipe the engraving with gold paint.
I like this suggestion. What kind of gold paint should I use.

Fred
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Craft Store

Post by wrmnfzy »

They have gold guild paint or silver depending on your preference. There is always black for a more subdued look. You can buy small amounts to try and see. There are also paint pens that would limit the amount that would have to be removed after coloring. I am kind of partial to the paint pens.
scollins
Gold Member

Post by scollins »

Pretty simple, dyed wood, cut on a 45 or whatever angle you like, laminated and turned. If you want to add interest to it, then take a V gouge or a Dremel with a narrow tip and lightly groove the glue line after turning.
fiatben
Platinum Member

Nope

Post by fiatben »

scollins wrote:Pretty simple, dyed wood, cut on a 45 or whatever angle you like, laminated and turned. If you want to add interest to it, then take a V gouge or a Dremel with a narrow tip and lightly groove the glue line after turning.
No, that won't give the scrolling effect he's looking for. Both sides of the stripe will run at the same angle with a 45° laminated blank.
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.
eagleta2
Gold Member

Post by eagleta2 »

Hi all

I haven't given up on this yet...but life has sure gotten in the way!

Now that its a reasonable temp in my shop I find that I am spending slot more of my time there... now if I can just get some of these other projects out of the way!

Will keep you posted if I make any headway

Thanks
Geo