letter stencils

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

littlejohnnc
Gold Member

letter stencils

Post by littlejohnnc »

Im building a toy box for a lady wants kids name in the face of the box....anyone got a good source for a lettering set. I had one from big blue store but it was a pain to work with let someone use it never came back.
LittleJohn_NC
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

You could make your own letters using your computer printer. Just scale the letter to the size you need, attach them to some thin wood and cut them out on the scroll saw.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
littlejohnnc
Gold Member

Post by littlejohnnc »

I should have said a router lettering set..shopsmith had one years ago. Something on these lines http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2021321/26297/milescraft-router-3d-pantograph.aspx
LittleJohn_NC
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

I'm not sure why you want it routed. There are easier, less labor intensive ways of adding letters or other graphics and she just might like those better. Here is an example of a dog house I built.

You can pull whatever you want off the internet, re-size it, change it, print it, glue it and spray it with clear spray. Simple, clean, easy.
Attachments
RC.JPG
RC.JPG (48.65 KiB) Viewed 3445 times
littlejohnnc
Gold Member

Post by littlejohnnc »

I like it seems the dog dose to ... :) the lady wanted it routed in so Im going to route it in.
LittleJohn_NC
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

Are those Christmas lights?
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

Yes, they are.
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

Check your local Sears store. Last time I was at my local Sears (two months ago) they still had a Craftmans-brand lettering system that you use a router with sitting on a shelf. Can't remember the cost though, but I remember it wasn't too much. It was in the tool department.
Sawdust & Shavings,
Woodburner:o
tom_k/mo
Platinum Member

Post by tom_k/mo »

If you have a good smooth surface, sign vinyl is another good way to add lettering/graphics to a project.
ShopSmith MarkV-520 with Belt Sander, Jointer, Band Saw, Strip Sander, Scroll Saw and Biscuit Jointer SPTs and a DC-3300...
Woodworking Hobbyist (Check out all my Woodworking Plans (http://vbwhiz.isa-geek.net/plans)
Aspiring Sandcarver: Breaking glass one grain at a time.
Black Powder Shooter (love the smell of burning sulfur).