Morse Taper

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rwilabee
Gold Member

Morse Taper

Post by rwilabee »

What morse taper does the SS use.

Rich
letterk
Gold Member

Post by letterk »

For my Mark V it has been a MT2.
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

MT 2 in the tail stock. The headstock is the proprietary 5/8" quill that we all know and love.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

terrydowning wrote:MT 2 in the tail stock. The headstock is the proprietary 5/8" quill that we all know and love.
What pray tell is 'proprietary' about a 5/8" shaft?;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

OK, strike 'proprietary' if you prefer, but I know of no other lathe on the market (other than ShopSmith clones no longer on the market) that use a solid 5/8" shaft. Most lathes have a morse taper socket of some size in the headstock. Typically 2 for wood lathes. I have seen some mini lathes that are size 1. Metal lathes I have seen 1 thru 4 depending on size of course.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

terrydowning wrote:OK, strike 'proprietary' if you prefer, but I know of no other lathe on the market (other than ShopSmith clones no longer on the market) that use a solid 5/8" shaft. Most lathes have a morse taper socket of some size in the headstock. Typically 2 for wood lathes. I have seen some mini lathes that are size 1. Metal lathes I have seen 1 thru 4 depending on size of course.
How many of those lathes also mount sanding discs, saw arbors, coupler hubs, biscuit jointer, belt sanders...;)

It is not a lathe spindle per say, but a multi-functional drive shaft.

FWIW There are some other 'features' that I would use a b-word to describe.(a common file type):(
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
scollins
Gold Member

Post by scollins »

There are actually several lathes that at some point in their manufacture had a solid shaft that required a slip on adaptor. Some of the early Vega lathes did.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

I suggest checking page 16 in the new Shopsmith printed catalog. They are offering what looks like a terrific live center complete set. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

letterk wrote:For my Mark V it has been a MT2.
So does the ER.

steve