Set up for lathe turning

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rdavidp
Gold Member

Post by rdavidp »

camerio wrote:I use to be able to watch Tim Yoder in the Woodturning Workshop on PBS, now we had to change Cable Provider and ended up with PBS Platsburg which does not have that show on its schedule.
It is a good show to see some pro doing wood turning and he was visiting other shop for different perspective on this nice hobby.
I think PBS Vermont has it and PBS Detroit (which was the one we had before) use to carry it.
I watch Tim Yoder every Tuesday. It is the one wood working show my wife will sit and watch with me. She said she could get interested in turning.
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

Lucky you ....
I liked his style of person and the way he presents his project.
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

I just found out that the show was canceled last year.
There is a website now with Tim and video are offered on dvd.

http://wtwtim.com/

So go and check it out ...
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
scollins
Gold Member

Post by scollins »

Check out woodturningonline.com for both tutorials on turning and turning projects. Of course Nick Englers Shopsmith videos are excellent. I don't know how long I had my SS before I checked out the Eccentric turning video and discovered another neat SS feature that I didn't know that I had. Search for Shipwright's post. He has some neat tricks for the SS.

A chuck isn't necessary for bowl turning, but it does make it easier. The only time that I use a chuck for spindle turning is if I have a piece that keeps spinning out of the drive spur. Cutting a cross kerf for the points of the spurs to catch in on a bandsaw or with a chisel greatly improves the holding ability of the drive spur.
rdavidp
Gold Member

Post by rdavidp »

camerio wrote:I just found out that the show was canceled last year...
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Well I guess I have to order his DVDs then. Atleast the local PBS is running his previous seasons for now.