St Louis saw sharpen

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

major_bob
Gold Member

St Louis saw sharpen

Post by major_bob »

I know a couple of you guys live in the St. Louis area. Do you know of anyone that will joint, sharpen and set hand saws ? I have a 3 flea market "treasures" that need restoration.

There are several online sources, but local would save me the shipping cost.

bob
Bob
LTC, US Army
Ft. Leonard Wood, MO
Hoo-ah !
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

The last time I had a hand saw sharpened, I just took it down to the Ace hardware store in about 1980. What kind/brand are these saws? What shape are they in? Here's two sites I found for sharpening.

http://www.thesawwright.com/Services.html

http://badaxetoolworks.com/bad-axe-rest ... vices.html

And here's one about restoring hand saws.

http://wkfinetools.com/tRestore/saw/saw ... -index.asp
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
major_bob
Gold Member

Post by major_bob »

I'm familar with Mark and his Bad Axe Saws. He would be my first choice if I can't find something local.

I have two Diston's (a rip and cc) and a 16in Kleen Kutter back saw. I have sharpened rip saws before and can probably handle that one myself. I would especially like to have the back saw professionally done.
Bob
LTC, US Army
Ft. Leonard Wood, MO
Hoo-ah !
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

For hand saws, I just put them in the vise to hold them and take a small triangular shaped file to them. Then, if you don't have enough set in the teeth, you can correct that with a hand held tooth set tool.
I watched my Dad do it 50 years ago, so I just do it myself now.
major_bob
Gold Member

Post by major_bob »

garys wrote:For hand saws, I just put them in the vise to hold them and take a small triangular shaped file to them. Then, if you don't have enough set in the teeth, you can correct that with a hand held tooth set tool.
I watched my Dad do it 50 years ago, so I just do it myself now.
I have a saw vise, files and set tool. Don't mind maintaining the saws once professionally tuned.
Bob
LTC, US Army
Ft. Leonard Wood, MO
Hoo-ah !
tom_k/mo
Platinum Member

Post by tom_k/mo »

Last blades I had sharpened I took to Branneky Hardware at St. Charles Rock Rd. and FeeFee. The person they work with did a good job.
ShopSmith MarkV-520 with Belt Sander, Jointer, Band Saw, Strip Sander, Scroll Saw and Biscuit Jointer SPTs and a DC-3300...
Woodworking Hobbyist (Check out all my Woodworking Plans (http://vbwhiz.isa-geek.net/plans)
Aspiring Sandcarver: Breaking glass one grain at a time.
Black Powder Shooter (love the smell of burning sulfur).
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Files are something I need to add to my hardware shopping list. I have a lot of them but most are getting pretty old and are getting fairly dull.
I have some that date back to the 1930's and 1940' (from my father and grandfather) and some of those are still decent but not many.
A new file feels almost as good as a new pair of socks... :)
I have a couple dozen + regular handsaws that I want to refurbish this winter. Some are pretty badly rusty but most just need light rust removal and a quick file touch-up. I also have about a dozen key-hole saws and a maybe dozen back-saws. I cleaned up and waxed the back-saws last winter.

It's kind of funny that now that I finally have about all of the power tools that I always wanted that I am now becoming more drawn to the hand tools. Not that I will ever abandon the power tools but I do like to do small stuff using hand tools.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
major_bob
Gold Member

Post by major_bob »

Francis,
I've spent way too much money on high quality new tools (veritas for example), yet find my favorites are still 100 years old.
Bob
LTC, US Army
Ft. Leonard Wood, MO
Hoo-ah !