New used Jointer

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

New used Jointer

Post by wannabewoodworker »

I have the SS jointer and it works perfectly but it is limited in what you can joint on it mainly due to the width of the tables as well as the length. The length you can deal with by incorporating some type of infeed and outfeed support but the width is not changable. So I have been looking for a long time for a bigger i.e. wider jointer. Many are listed used on CL but they are usually quite expensive for an 8" model which is what I was after. So I finally found one that had a reasonable price. It is a Geetech 8" model that was made back in the 90's and is well regarded in the woodworking arena from my research. Geetech actually manufactures many of the jointers for Jet, Powermatic, and others from what I have read. So I took a friend with me for a drive today to go get this jointer. About an hour drive from home but it was a nice drive with good company.

Got there and met Harvey the owner. He was a very cordial and nice friendly guy and we got along great from the outset. He took us down to the basement where we could see the machine. It was as described and seen in the pics no surprises. The big gotcha though was the weight of this behemoth. I was going to go get it alone and I am very glad i decided not to do that as i would not have been able to handle this beast alone. Derrick and I muscled the jointer up the basement stairs after taking it off the base and then used a hand truck to get it to my truck. That was the hardest part of the ordeal.

While we were there Derrick was looking around for stuff he might want. He saw a nice anvil and we offered $75 and Harvey said fine. He also had a pattern makers lathe which I had never seen nor heard of before but it was one of the neatest machines I have ever seen. It was basically a wood lathe that looked and functioned like a metal lathe complete with cross slide vise. It also had a huge tail stock and a stand alone outrigger that supported a tool rest that you could use on the outboard spindle output shaft for turning very large stuff. Derrick inquired about the price and was told $450 and he immediately said he wanted it. So we gave Harvey some keep it safe money and we will be returning in a few weeks to pickup some additional toys. It was a pretty good day overall.

Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Looks brand new! Congrats and enjoy.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!