pine cone and corn cob

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

eagleta2
Gold Member

pine cone and corn cob

Post by eagleta2 »

Hi all...

I really want to make pine cone and corn cob pens and am looking for some insight...

For the pine cone: There are no pine cones in phoenix...at least none that are large enough to have a solid core that I can make a pen blank from. I'm not really looking to purchase a $10 pine cone to try this with, the risk is too great for something to go wrong.

I would consider paying for shipping if anyone would be willing to pack u p and ship some large pine cones and or dried out corn cobs.

Thanks for your help

Geo
holsgo
Platinum Member

Post by holsgo »

What you want is a huge pine cone from North carolina. Around Pinehurst. We've got to have a member who lives near there.
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

I have turned a couple of corn cob pens from here, Scroll down to the bottom of page. I got a lot of compliments on it until I lost it. They make great looking pens. I used the Stabilized Corn Cob - Clear, because I wanted it to look like a corn cob.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

joedw00 wrote:I have turned a couple of corn cob pens from here, Scroll down to the bottom of page. I got a lot of compliments on it until I lost it. They make great looking pens. I used the Stabilized Corn Cob - Clear, because I wanted it to look like a corn cob.

WOW I didn't realize corn was that high. Did I miss out big time when I lived in either Nebraska or Iowa? Should I have been scavenging for corn cobs? In both places, I lived right in the midst of the corn fields.

In Iowa, I lived in a fifth wheel parked in a trailer park in Amana. It was corn everywhere. In Nebraska, I lived in Bellevue and had to drive a couple miles to get into the corn.

Oh no, that reminds me. That was near the Bellevue Queen where I used to get the best streamship round or prime rib I ever ate.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
eagleta2
Gold Member

Post by eagleta2 »

dusty wrote:WOW I didn't realize corn was that high. Did I miss out big time when I lived in either Nebraska or Iowa? Should I have been scavenging for corn cobs? In both places, I lived right in the midst of the corn fields.

In Iowa, I lived in a fifth wheel parked in a trailer park in Amana. It was corn everywhere.

Dusty...you hit the nail on the head. This is precisely why I decided to ask our fellow forum members for pine cones and corn cobs... I am hopefully optimistic that one member lives amongst these items and wouldn't mind sending some "lathe fodder" my way.

One can hope...:o

Thanks
Geo
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

You want pine cones??? I got pine cones out the ......well, you know.

[ATTACH]20683[/ATTACH]
Not sure if these are the right size. Right now this time of year, they are somewhat wet and closed up. Probably will need to dry out.

[ATTACH]20684[/ATTACH]

Let me know if these will work and how many you want. I can box up and ship out on Monday!
Attachments
pine cone 1.jpg
pine cone 1.jpg (167.76 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
pine cone 2.jpg
pine cone 2.jpg (111.5 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
" I cut it twice and it's still too short"

2006 Mark 520, 1983 Mark V model 500(soon to be a shorty)/Power Stand mounted Planer/Jointer/Belt Sander/Band Saw/Jigsaw on pwr stand/Scroll saw/Strip Sander/Power Station/Speed Reducer/Increaser/2 Nova chucks.... 12" DeWalt sliding compound mitre saw, 10" Delta tabletop saw, Bosch router and jig saw, Makita circular saw, Graco V-COMP HVLP, Festool CT-26 E Hepa
holsgo
Platinum Member

Post by holsgo »

Those look like what im talking about.
eagleta2
Gold Member

Post by eagleta2 »

pieceseeker wrote:You want pine cones??? I got pine cones out the ......well, you know.

[ATTACH]20683[/ATTACH]
Not sure if these are the right size. Right now this time of year, they are somewhat wet and closed up. Probably will need to dry out.

[ATTACH]20684[/ATTACH]

Let me know if these will work and how many you want. I can box up and ship out on Monday!

Those look like they will work great... not sure if the closed or open would be best...but I do know as fat around and the longest you can find would be perfect.

I'll send you a pm... thanks so much!

Geo
scollins
Gold Member

Post by scollins »

A jack pine or the type that needs fire to open will be the easiest to turn. Ones that open without fire will need to be encased in casting resin to turn. Heat from the cutting tool can make one that is not in resin start to open. CA glue can help keep it closed.

For the corn cob, buy some corn on the cob and save the cob. You can dry in the oven on the lowest setting or just set outside in the sun till dry. They don't have to be stablized. Use a very light touch when end milling.
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

… For the corn cob, buy some corn on the cob and save the cob. You can dry in the oven on the lowest setting or just set outside in the sun till dry. They don't have to be stablized. Use a very light touch when end milling. …

This is all new to me, but I did wonder why a person wouldn’t just buy corn, heat and eat, then dry the cobs themselves.

Any special reason why buy them post-munch is preferable?

Besides that, I’d be very interested to see what pinecone and corncob pens look like whenever you’re finished.