Question on spur drive center

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rdavidp
Gold Member

Question on spur drive center

Post by rdavidp »

I have tried to search, but have not had any luck in finding my answer to the following question. What is the largest size diameter spindle that can safely be turned on the Shopsmith standard 4 spur drive center? I am using a live center on the tail stock.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rdavidp wrote:I have tried to search, but have not had any luck in finding my answer to the following question. What is the largest size diameter spindle that can safely be turned on the Shopsmith standard 4 spur drive center? I am using a live center on the tail stock.
Anything that does not slip!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

[quote="JPG40504"]Anything that does not slip!]

I'll add sixteen inches in diameter.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

What JPG and Bob said. I have turned 14 inches with the spur drive.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
rdavidp
Gold Member

Post by rdavidp »

Wow, so as long as the spur drive center is in the wood properly and a live center in the tailstock, the spur center will turn anything that can fit on the Shopsmith. I would imagine that a long and wide spindle would be a very "interesting" turning experience none the less.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

rdavidp wrote:Wow, so as long as the spur drive center is in the wood properly and a live center in the tailstock, the spur center will turn anything that can fit on the Shopsmith. I would imagine that a long and wide spindle would be a very "interesting" turning experience none the less.

This link Wood turning a log on a Shopsmith has been posted here before but I think it was before you joined. He is using a faceplate not a spur center but as you say "a very "interesting" turning experience".

Like the Estate lawyers say, where there's a will there's a way.]
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

Remember, the the larger the diameter, the slower the speed on your machine.

Always test your mounting by hand turning before you apply power.

Always test your mounting at the slowest speed possible under power, staying out of the line of fire, should the mount fail.

Wear all your safety gear and be mindful of the turning, Don't get so wrapped up in the art that you lose your sense of safety. Big stuff is fun to turn, but you have to be aware of what is going on whenever it is turning.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
rdavidp
Gold Member

Post by rdavidp »

terrydowning wrote:Remember, the the larger the diameter, the slower the speed on your machine.

Always test your mounting by hand turning before you apply power.

Always test your mounting at the slowest speed possible under power, staying out of the line of fire, should the mount fail.

Wear all your safety gear and be mindful of the turning, Don't get so wrapped up in the art that you lose your sense of safety. Big stuff is fun to turn, but you have to be aware of what is going on whenever it is turning.
Of course I have the smaller face plate, but just curious to the largest size a spur center could handle. I also was able to order a Speed Reducer from Shopsmith and actually receive it the same week I ordered it. It sounds like a few others had to wait quite some time after ordering their Speed Reducer before receiving it.
reefmespla
Bronze Member

Post by reefmespla »

Hey,

New guy here, based on the weight and speed of the Shopsmith the spur should hold anything that can be safely turned. Diameter capacity will be a function of length, weight, and balance. Do not expect to be safe with a 10" diameter piece 20" long that is out of balance on the other hand you might be fine with a well balanced 15" diameter piece the same length. As with anything the answer is "it depends" and will come with practice and experience.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

reefmespla wrote:Hey,

New guy here, based on the weight and speed of the Shopsmith the spur should hold anything that can be safely turned. Diameter capacity will be a function of length, weight, and balance. Do not expect to be safe with a 10" diameter piece 20" long that is out of balance on the other hand you might be fine with a well balanced 15" diameter piece the same length. As with anything the answer is "it depends" and will come with practice and experience.
Good Reply:)

And Welcome!!!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange