Shop built lathe tool rest arm?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

scollins
Gold Member

Shop built lathe tool rest arm?

Post by scollins »

Blew up my tool rest horizontal arm. Has anyone made one from scratch?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

scollins wrote:Blew up my tool rest horizontal arm. Has anyone made one from scratch?
Sure! We all have a smelter in our shops!:D

How in tarnation did you accomplish that?:eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tvidnoviciii
Gold Member

Post by tvidnoviciii »

The tool rest for both the 10e/10er, Mark V, and Mark 5 can be had for relatively reasonable rates (~$20 + shipping) on ebay see: http://tinyurl.com/pgm7tve
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
scollins
Gold Member

Post by scollins »

Very interesting, but garly piece of oak that even defied the Easy Wood carbide tools. The Sorby Ultima conquered it in the end. The thing about cast parts is that they fatique and give up the ghost sometimes.

I have the universal tool rest so I am not down, but I really like to use the regular tool rest. All the tough stuff will go on my John Nichols custom lathe now. I'll pull up Shipwright's duplicator link and look at it.