I need a Tip/Trick

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

alisfair
Gold Member

Tendon Jig

Post by alisfair »

Upon studying the video further I notice the 1/4 inch board looks to be tapered and favors the center line of the holes. Does anyone see that? The edge of holes and edge of 1/4 board is the same distance. The more I look at it the worse it gets lol.
alisfair
Gold Member

German Tendon Jig

Post by alisfair »

I just finished building this jig. WOW it rocks!!! If you need one build this one is does the job. Hard to figure out of some of the assembly just looking at the pictures but it came out great!
Tom alisfair
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

Pictures and details on the build would be nice.
New Leaf Custom Woodworking
Berry Conway - Chief Dust Maker
alisfair
Gold Member

Homemade German Tendon Jig

Post by alisfair »

Hi All,
I built two of these jigs. I took pictures of one of them but don't know how to upload them on this site. If it is permitted you can contact me at alisfair@aol.com and I will shoot them your way. Really works great!
Tom alisfair
alisfair
Gold Member

Homemade German Tendon Jig

Post by alisfair »

Hi All,
I built two of these jigs. I took pictures of one of them but don't know how to upload them on this site. If it is permitted you can contact me at alisfair@aol.com and I will shoot them your way. Really works great!
Tom alisfair
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

alisfair wrote:Hi All,
Tom alisfair

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=114
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
alisfair
Gold Member

tendon jig

Post by alisfair »

After building the jig I found you can change the dia or od of the tendons. Laying holes out on jig only gurantees you will stay the same distance from the fence on set up. After you cut a trial tendon you either tap the fence toward the cutter or away from the cutter to achieve the size you want. Found the build easy and a good idea.
billmayo
Platinum Member

German Tendon Jig

Post by billmayo »

I posted this for Alisfair and inserted the pictures for his German Tendon Jig.

The jig is only 6 pieces made out of OSB or plywood your choice.
(2) pieces 3/4 x 4 x 10 (Top and bottom pieces with the holes in them)
(2) " " 3/4 x 4 x 4 ( end pieces)
(1) " " 1.0 x 3 1/2 x 11 1/2 (offset piece next to bottom piece)
(1) " " 1/4 x 4 3/8 x 11 1/2 ( bottom piece)

Layout holes in the pieces 10 inches long. Draw a line 3/4 of and inch across the end of board. The spacing is not that important but try to make it look nice and even. The one edge of hole must be on or touching the 3/4 line.

Layout the holes starting with the smallest diameter and go to the next one larger. Do not mix hole sizes up .

Tape two 10 in pieces together and drill holes through both pieces at the same time as this will be very accurate. Do not force drill into material as it may make the holes sloppy.

Pull pieces apart then assemble with end pieces using nails, glue or screws.

Assemble the two bottom pieces together noticing the 1/4 piece is over hanging the 1.0 piece, that is good,

Now take and line up the piece that overhangs and line it up on the center line of all the holes. This will be a visual thing but get as close as possible. The closer you are to the centerline the smaller the tendon can be routed. After lining that up secure it nails, glue, screws, I layed out the drilled holes and left the center lines on them so when you place the desired hole by router cutter it will be easier to align the center of tendon. ( a easy. reference set up.)

Watch the video (in German) and look how he sets it up. In order to get the proper diameter of tendon you can try it out on a couple of pieces and then secure it. Once you get it close you can tap it towards or away from the cutter to accomplish this. Once where you want it tighten it down and have fun.

Of course you can put one or more holes in the jig as desired. Just don't mix diameters !
[ATTACH]22278[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]22279[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]22280[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]22281[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]22282[/ATTACH]
Attachments
IMG_5397.JPG
IMG_5397.JPG (14.05 KiB) Viewed 927 times
IMG_5398.JPG
IMG_5398.JPG (14.67 KiB) Viewed 927 times
IMG_5399.JPG
IMG_5399.JPG (18.09 KiB) Viewed 927 times
IMG_5400.JPG
IMG_5400.JPG (20.44 KiB) Viewed 928 times
IMG_5401.JPG
IMG_5401.JPG (18.07 KiB) Viewed 927 times
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
scollins
Gold Member

Post by scollins »

Route an oversized slot in board using a round nose bit, then glue in a strip of sandpaper. Chuck dowel in the drill press and sand to rounded shape. I would first chamber on the disk sander to save wear on your paper during the final shaping.