I need a Tip/Trick

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

I need a Tip/Trick

Post by mountainbreeze »

How do I round the end of a 3/16" dowel as shown? I have to do this about 20 times so I'm looking for a repeatable method to accomplish this so they all look about the same.

[ATTACH]22095[/ATTACH]
Attachments
DOwel.JPG
DOwel.JPG (12.13 KiB) Viewed 1502 times
Bill
----------------
Mark V 520 50th Anniversary Edition, Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Can you put the dowel in the chuck and round it over with some sandpaper glued to a flat board? Use the sandpaper as a file.
Bill V
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

If you have a router table set up you could set up a bull nose bit of about the correct diameter, set so the dowel while flat on the table is centered in it and gently twist in place. Maybe set up a couple clamps, feather boards, etc. the width of the dowel so you could easily twist it without it rolling.

Or

A round over bit would do something similar, but you would need a small diameter to get a shape like you have in your picture and I still think it might be more pointed

Anyway, you could round an end, cut to length and repeat as needed.

Hope that gives you an idea, though maybe not the most elegant.
jere
Gold Member

Post by jere »

belt or disk sander with the table at the widest angle. Do them all then decrease the angle slightly until you are there.
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

On WWMM, a few months ago, Steve posted a video of a guy making 'similar' cuts with a router table and jig he made. The video is in German, but I think it may give you a few ideas. (It should be pretty simple with a change to a round over bit.)

The link is about 1/2 way down this page. I'm not technologically savy enough to give you a direct link.

http://www.woodworkingformeremortals.co ... l-jig.html

Hope it helps an good luck, let us know how it comes out.
New Leaf Custom Woodworking
Berry Conway - Chief Dust Maker
alisfair
Gold Member

German jig for WWMM site

Post by alisfair »

Thanks, think i will build one of those neato!
nil
Gold Member

Post by nil »

Grind the profile in a piece of metal.... drill a dowel sized hole in a block of wood, then split down the center. Insert metal profile in hole and clamp the halves around it. Spin the dowel in the hole with a drill.every one will have a profile that matches your metal template.
alisfair
Gold Member

German Tendon Jig

Post by alisfair »

I looked the jig over several times but can't figure out a couple of things. Looking at the holes where they line up with fence and router they look the same distance from edge of the box. The holes too look to be on the same center line. Don't know how to cipher this. Anyone got some plans to construct this? It sure looks like it will work.
Thanks
Tom
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

alisfair wrote:I looked the jig over several times but can't figure out a couple of things. Looking at the holes where they line up with fence and router they look the same distance from edge of the box. The holes too look to be on the same center line. Don't know how to cipher this. Anyone got some plans to construct this? It sure looks like it will work.
Thanks
Tom
1 2 3 4 ...

The tenons(round) will all be the same od regardless of which hole is used. Keep in mind the workpiece must be a tight fit in the hole(s) no matter what the workpiece shape.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
alisfair
Gold Member

Tips

Post by alisfair »

I understand what your saying, but the one was the size of a pencil. Other ones were larger I believe. I watched it again and all are on the same distance from the edge (cutter side) and other edges of the holes line up but their dia center is further side of cutter.
Thanks for the info
Tom