Awesome Fluting jig

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

scollins
Gold Member

Awesome Fluting jig

Post by scollins »

Just used it for 16 fluted panels. Smooth as silk and could be used one handed easily! $10 for hardware.

I started to buy the $70 fluting jig from Rockler for a 21' bookcase/cabinet set that I am building then spotted plans for this jig and decided I might like it better. It has a fixed fence and an adjustable fence that has built in spring so that it will adjust to any variation in your board keeping the jig tight against your board. It was designed to attach to the router base but I am too lazy to switch bases so I added another layer of 1/4" plywood that I scroll sawed to fit my base resulting in a glove fit that did not require any holddowns to keep the jig attached to my router (with wear and tear I am sure I will add them eventually). I added a scale that makes it easy to adjust your spacing and very accurate. My plan was to route a center flute and reset for the side flute then turn it around without changing the spacing to route the other side flute. Great idea if your router plate is round, but I used one that has a flat side which then puts the router off center in the jig meaning that my stop blocks wouldn't work both ways so I just reset for each flute (no problem using my scale). I did wax it a couple of times to keep it sliding smoothly with no drag. I can't find my plan at the moment, but will post a link when I do.
Attachments
FJ1.jpg
FJ1.jpg (94.76 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
FJ2.jpg
FJ2.jpg (71.31 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
FJ3.jpg
FJ3.jpg (95.71 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
FJ4.jpg
FJ4.jpg (94.07 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
Jack Wilson
Gold Member

Post by Jack Wilson »

Good looking jig, sounds like it work well.
SS Mark 7 PowerPro, 2 SS Bandsaws, SS Belt Sander, SS Jigsaw, 13" Steel City Lunch Box Planer, SS Jointer, Jet 22-44 Drum Sander
friscomike
Gold Member

Post by friscomike »

Howdy,

Nice jig and results. I've been wondering how I could make fluting for a picture frame. Now I know. Thanks for the post.

Best,
mike
...now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have sawdust to make... ;)