Freedom Flag Cases

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gregf
Gold Member

Freedom Flag Cases

Post by gregf »

Anyone else see this ?

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/109743/new-program-aims-to-honor-fallen-soldiers?utm_source=email&utm_medium=eletter&utm_content=fw_eletter&utm_campaign=fine-woodworking-eletter

http://www.freedomflagcases.com

I downloaded the plans. It seems to me there should be a way to make these with fewer parts.
Has anyone seen simpler plans?
Richwood, OH
There is no such thing as an unsafe tool, only unsafe owners. If you make a machine idiot-proof, God will invent a better idiot.
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

There are numerous videos and plans with simipler (and more complex) plans. I use a bottom triangle flag length of 23" and the sides at 17". This seems to be a reasonable approximation for burial flags. 45 degrees at the top, 22 1/2 degree miters on the bottom sides are common, but if have seen a couple where the bottom piece has 30 degrees and the side mating miters are 15 degrees. The outside length varies depending upon the thickness of the material.

There is a Sketchup that shows a slot cut in the bottom to allow the glass (or plexiglas) to be fed from the bottom, instead of assembling the pieces while trying to hold the glass in place. There is neat trick to do this (holding the glass at the easiest height) if you want to know.

I have seen flag boxes that also have a rectangular box below, which holds pictures, medals, lapel pins, combat ribbons, nearly anything to show a tribute or honor.

I've known grown men to cry as they talk about making them and give them away, while some do it with quiet humility and still others bathe in the praise and admiration they receive. Personally I think it is all good.

I once read a person talking about how, when you are given the honor of singing our National Anthem at a sporting event, one should leave the vocal antics and theatrics for another day and sing it as if the entire front row was filled with Veterans (capiltialized for a reason!) to honor them and those that came before them. I look at making flag cases in a similar manner, to honor those who left this earth making it a better place for people that they never knew nor met, but just because .....

Okay, off my soap box, and best thoughts as you make one or a multitude of boxes.

Ben
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I recall a certain cabinet maker languish over the angles and how to cut them out loud on this forum.

Question I have is what are the 'normal' dimensions of a flag used for casket draping etc.

The resultant properly folded dimensions should determine the angles and dimensions.

45, 22.5, 30- ... all seem to be the tail wagging the dog so to speak.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

JPG40504 wrote:I recall a certain cabinet maker languish over the angles and how to cut them out loud on this forum.

Question I have is what are the 'normal' dimensions of a flag used for casket draping etc.

The resultant properly folded dimensions should determine the angles and dimensions.

45, 22.5, 30- ... all seem to be the tail wagging the dog so to speak.
I presume you know, but in case you don't (or for those who don't ), if you obtain a vinyl case used for a military burial flag, you will find (generally), that the long side (bottom) is approximately 23 inches and the two ISO sides are approximately 17 inches. The depth of the folded flag is approximately 2 inches. When a flag is folded appropriately at the graveside, it will fit snugly, but not so that it appears bunched up, in a vinyl case of those dimensions.

If one chooses to construct a case to display such a flag, and they wish to follow the contours of that folded flag, they can be relatively certain that the top corner is 90 degrees and the bottom corners are 45. Again, referring to the above dimensions for size.

I have seen some beautifully designed cases that hold the flag with its peak up and then allow for embellishment below the case.

For many of you, skip the next few paragraphs while I get maudlin or wax philosophic or bore the crap out of you or whatever it is I do.....

---------
Personally I can relate to the anguish of wanting to have the joined edges be perfect. I don't believe it's a matter of embarrassment if they are not so perfect that flaws are undetectable, so much as a desire to show humility and respect.

But then again, we each live by our own compass.

Growing up all I knew about my Dad's military career was that they didn't want him at the beginning of WWII, until much later and then because of his eye sight, etc. he was a cook in the Army. It was only a few years before his death and we were talking about it that I found out that he volunteered and was on the third wave at Iwo Jima. As he came ashore, the man next to him was shot and killed. Before that time his "discussions" about his part in the war had been as a civilian employee working at Elmendorf keeping the equipment running at 20 below and then his active duty stationed in Hawaii where he laughed about stealing pineapples to feed to the enlisted men. My Dad was never one to embellish his life and so the realization and revelation of his "war stories" were shocking to put it mildly. It also explains why in 1972 when I was expecting an all expenses paid vacation to Southeast Asia, I said I was planning to join the Marine Corps PLC program, he nearly swallowed his tongue and went pale :eek: . Now I can smile about it and realize that he had seen Marines fight and die beside him and he was afraid for me.

I, as do SO MANY, on this forum, appreciate and applaud and thank those that put on the uniform. I guess, when the subject of doing something for those people comes up, I get more emotional than I probably should. But as I get older, I perceive (maybe incorrectly) fewer showing appreciation for this nation and it's heroes. I still get a lump in my throat when I hear the National Anthem. I may have my doubts about those currently attempting to run this government, but I still believe in the people of this country.

I fret about the flag cases that I make, not because of what I think someone will say if I have flaws in the construction, but because I just want anyone who looks at it to see past the case and when they look at the stars on that blue field to remember with love the person who helped keep our freedom.

-----

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled programming, the soap box has been put away.

Be well,

Ben

PS. Any typos.... I am sorry, but I've spent time reading and rereading and am weary of my own blathering.
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

OK, knowing what I know about folding the Flag, it should have a right angle at the top, and 2, 45 degree angles at the lower corners.

That would be 2, 45 degrees cuts for the top joint, and 4, 22.5 angles for the lower corners.

Not having a real flag, I don't know the lengths involved.

I would enjoy (well, not really enjoy, but be honored) to be able to create cases for these flags. After all, we're honoring those who, "some gave all." While, "all gave some."

I didn't serve during a war, but I did serve. I would deem it an honor to recognize those who do, or did!

steve
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

benush26 wrote: Okay, back to our regularly scheduled programming, the soap box has been put away.

Be well,

Ben
Ben, you have done GOOD here. Only wish I could follow your example!

Oh, KEEP the soapbox. Make SURE it's wooden, not cardboard, like we get nowadays. (Yes, I work retail grocery.)

steve
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

benush26 wrote:I presume you know, but in case you don't (or for those who don't ), if you obtain a vinyl case used for a military burial flag, you will find (generally), that the long side (bottom) is approximately 23 inches and the two ISO sides are approximately 17 inches. The depth of the folded flag is approximately 2 inches. When a flag is folded appropriately at the graveside, it will fit snugly, but not so that it appears bunched up, in a vinyl case of those dimensions.

If one chooses to construct a case to display such a flag, and they wish to follow the contours of that folded flag, they can be relatively certain that the top corner is 90 degrees and the bottom corners are 45. Again, referring to the above dimensions for size.

I have seen some beautifully designed cases that hold the flag with its peak

. . . Deleted not because of content(which was quite appropriate), but to save space.:)

No I did not(hence the ?).

From the 'plan', the interior dimensions would be 17 17/32 sides and 23 13/32 bottom(90° top 45° sides). Inserts reduce that to 17 1/32 x 22 29/32"

I like the 'plan' since it eliminates the 22.5° angles at the bottom. That makes ALL bevel cuts 45°. The exposed joint is on the bottom where it will not be visible. The 1/2" material thickness would be a challenge for one without a thickness planer. If one wanted to not do the front trim, the spline could be made blind from the front.*

I like the cleat detail.

*An interior kerf for the glass would eliminate the need for the 'liner' pieces, but would require extra depth. Ditto a kerf for the back/cleat.

Simpler? Maybe! Different? Fer sure. Easier? . . .?

Narrow front(no trim) will make it look 'chinzy'?

Fer a challenge, make it from 1/2" BB and venier the inside and outside with material from the same board as the trim.:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Somewhere in the pastI posted some pictures of a triangular flag case that I made. Tghe two top cuts were 45 degrees to form the top 90 deg angle. The four bottom cuts were indeed cut at 22.5 deg but these cuts have to be made with the pieces held vertically. Make a jig that straddles the fence and can hold the piece to be cut vertically. ( NOTE: All the interior angles of any triangle will add up to 180 degrees). I am on vacation in the Prague Ck Republic and can not get to my pic files. I think that the flag case may be on the Built With A Shopsmith website.
Bill V