shopsmith as a metal lathe?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

Super Shop was an excellant metal and wood working combination machine. I could never find a used one available in Florida as the new price was too expensive when I was interested. Pictures of this machine are shown in the following reference.

http://www.tool-hunter.com/shopsmith-po ... rking-tool

I have not checked lately to see this machine is being sold by anyone.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

There is a supershop on eBay right now for $1200. It has been relisted at least 3 times.
- 1986 Mark V 500 Mini

- 1985 Mark V 510 with reversible motor, bandsaw, jointer, and double-tilt.

I offer quality motor reversal, rebuilding, and rewiring. Contact me at HarbourTools@live.com
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

If the Super Shop still has a its functions working, It sounds like a good buy. Too far for me. Lrt me know if any show up in Florida
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
eagleta2
Gold Member

thanks!

Post by eagleta2 »

Thanks for all the replies guys! I really appreciate your insight.

My shop is generally small (12x16) and I was thinking if I could use the SS for light metal work that would be ideal. I have talked myself out of that idea after reading your replies.

Now the focus is shifting to whether or not I want to invest in a mini lathe to do the machine work. I'm not a big fan of used equipment unless I know it inside and out...

And I don't know mini lathes inside and out. Perhaps I should just realize that I have enough hobbies and that I really don't need another!

Thanks
Geo
backhertz
Platinum Member

Post by backhertz »

Bill,
Thank you again for the small metal lathe carriage set up that rests on the way tubes. Bill was nice enough to make me a deal I could't refuse. It weighs a ton, but it only cost me a flat rate to ship via the USPS flat rate priority mail boxes. It fits perfectly on the way tubes.

I have some thicker way tubes and might one day get to trying it out. I have many 10E/ER tubes. But I found a source of much thicker DOM (drawn over mandrel) tubes recommended by one of the members of the 10E/ER forum that seems to remove much of the flex. But $100 for a pair of tubes is a bit expensive.

Tony

billmayo wrote:I had used the top half of a small metal lathe carriage (X & Y) on a metal frame bolted to the way tubes. I have a 3" 3 jaw metal chuck that I modified to fit the 5/8" quill shaft. I quickly found the 1.75" way tubes or something seem to flex too much for anything harder than aluminum and plastic. Also vibration and chatter was a problem. BackHertz has this setup now. I finally switched to a cheap used HF 7X10 metal lathe to do most of my metal lathe work.

I have been able to make a milling machine from a Shopsmith. I used the 10ER tubes, a 3 bearing quill, a steel Total Shop Table supported by 2X4s under the table and a router chuck (double set screws) for the milling bits. The table does not move, it is fixed in position. I move the headstock with a bottle jack. I have a precision X/Y vise with a rotary table on top bolted to the steel table on which to mount the work. I have to go super slow and have milled less dense steels but mostly do aluminum and plastic. I never tried milling stainless or harder steels.
One Greenie, Two Mark 7s,Three 510s and much more…
WorkinClass
Gold Member

Re:

Post by WorkinClass »

[quote="brad_nalor"]What model SS to use for metal work? By the time you add it up, might be better to find a Craftsman 109 or small Atlas dedicated metal lathe. (Not a fan of those china made low end lathes and still prefer an old US made. That's another entire topic but for now will stick to the OP.)

Once again, reviving an old thread... haha

There is def something to be said for the old WWII era and earlier castings... It was just better iron IMHO.

That being said, I have a '41 (Dunlap built) craftsman 109 that I am in the process of mating to a '54 SS as an "attachment". The 109 is mounted to a 3/4" steel plate that will be bolted to aluminum cross bars that are fitted to the way tubes and the SS will be used not only as a bench, but also drive motor. A pulley is adapted and mounted on the SS spindle, acculink belts will be used for simplicity of "attaching". This will not only give me the pulley change possibilities of the 109, but also the variable speed of the SS, creating a infinite spindle speed range. One thing to keep in mind though, is the 109 was built around a 1/4hp motor, so it will be easy to over stress the lathe running off the SS (1 1/8hp) and bend or break the spindle or casting with a heavy cut. I might cut some stainless (light cuts) but mostly brass and alum and mild steel (still, fairly light cuts). Hogging will not be an option. Any bigger (like a 10" atlas) wouldn't be doable due to length of lathe and structurability of the SS. But the 6" 109 will work and is thread cutting capable and will combine metal cutting and woodcutting in the same footprint. I'll post some pics in this thread in the next week or so.
Marc
Phoenix, Az.
Mark V "Greenie" SN 264779 with Magna Eng jointer SN 14512
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: shopsmith as a metal lathe?

Post by nuhobby »

Marc,

Looking forward to seeing this one! I had thoughts of doing the same thing, 2-3 years ago. But by the time I started sorting-out the old 109 lathe I had found, I was a little overwhelmed and ended up selling it. So I decided to remain in woodworking more than metalworking.

Chris