christmas presents...FOR ME!

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

eagleta2
Gold Member

christmas presents...FOR ME!

Post by eagleta2 »

Hi everyone... I'm looking to order myself some Christmas presents... Wanted to get your input as to what you have and like...or would recommend.

1. Vise to use in drill press mode. I'm sick of using hand clamps and trying to hold them to the table. I really like the idea of 556416. What do you guys think of it? Is it everything you wanted in a vise? Do you think the extra $ for the plans for the sliding base and jaws plus the fastener kit is worth it?
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/combination_vise.htm

2. I would like to get a dovetail fixture... Which do you recommend and why? Right now, im considering a porter cable but need to look into it more. I don't mind that the end joint will obviously look machined and not had made. Would like the option for blind or through dovetails...and perhaps the possibility of sliding dovetails...

I'd appreciate any insight you can give regarding different fixtures, router bits or even links on reviews...

3 A Grrripper system. I cut a lot of small things on my shopsmith...and this thing just looks cool.
http://www.amazon.com/Gripper-TM-200-Advanced-System/dp/B000H50BAC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387658032&sr=8-1&keywords=grrripper

Would you recommend any accessories for the grrripper? Something you just wouldn't want to live without?

Thanks for the help guys!
Geo
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

I think we all deserve a few new tools this time of year.

1. I have the old vice and it has served me well. This one should be more heavy duty so it should be better. The old one was light duty and often needed some help to do things one should do on its own. Right now that is on my maybe list as an upgrade.

I have a sliding base for mine that requires a fence to slide along. I've used it with my over head router and with the shopsmith. Their version looks like it might have a pair of bars for the miter slots. The rest of the jaws seem like they would be easy to make if you are handy at that sort of thing and have the time to do work your self. The faster method is to just buy them and the vice together. Then you can tell us about them.

2. I personally own several jigs and many other tools which can perform the task (like the incra jigs). I lost my interest in making them and do not use them for anything I make. Back in the 70's it was more of a skill thing and doing them by hand seems like a special thing to do. Now with all the advances in jigs and routers they don't interest me in the least. Just my opinion but I'd go for a multipurpose method that does more then just dovetails.

3. I love the grippers but they will cost you a bit as you really need two of them. I also have the narrow 1/8" legs which was an extra cost. I also got the thing that bridges them together and have made the extra extensions out of MDF. That company also sells the splitters that I like (metal ones). Take a look at the companies pages for more details. The DVD is a great place to learn more and it was only like $6 when I got it.

Ed

eagleta2 wrote:Hi everyone... I'm looking to order myself some Christmas presents... Wanted to get your input as to what you have and like...or would recommend.

1. Vise to use in drill press mode. I'm sick of using hand clamps and trying to hold them to the table. I really like the idea of 556416. What do you guys think of it? Is it everything you wanted in a vise? Do you think the extra $ for the plans for the sliding base and jaws plus the fastener kit is worth it?
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/combination_vise.htm

2. I would like to get a dovetail fixture... Which do you recommend and why? Right now, im considering a porter cable but need to look into it more. I don't mind that the end joint will obviously look machined and not had made. Would like the option for blind or through dovetails...and perhaps the possibility of sliding dovetails...

I'd appreciate any insight you can give regarding different fixtures, router bits or even links on reviews...

3 A Grrripper system. I cut a lot of small things on my shopsmith...and this thing just looks cool.
http://www.amazon.com/Gripper-TM-200-Advanced-System/dp/B000H50BAC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387658032&sr=8-1&keywords=grrripper

Would you recommend any accessories for the grrripper? Something you just wouldn't want to live without?

Thanks for the help guys!
Geo
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Just looked again at the vice jig kit, it is the drawings and hardware kit. You will have to get the wood and make them yourself....

While you do save $4.64 getting them together.... I'd have to think a bit more about this.

Ed
eagleta2
Gold Member

Post by eagleta2 »

I agree Ed... I'm going to pop for the vise... If I need the sliding base, I can always pick that uplater. Next to research the dovetail jigs.:D

Thanks
Geo
Jack Wilson
Gold Member

Post by Jack Wilson »

I have the drill press vice, just recently used it on a small project and was very happy with it. There is a lot of easy adjustability with the device, slide along the mitre slot, long slots in the vice and shopsmith table moves. Makes for easy alignment.
SS Mark 7 PowerPro, 2 SS Bandsaws, SS Belt Sander, SS Jigsaw, 13" Steel City Lunch Box Planer, SS Jointer, Jet 22-44 Drum Sander
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

I agree about a tool here or there. I base mine on what I'm working on.
I got my first $20 vise that clampsonto my work bench and made sone wood jaws for it. Used the crap out of it in the last couple weeks. Cheapy but soo nice!
I splurged and got a stanley #92 shoulder plane to bevel edges and smooth my table saw rabet cuts on some recipe boxes (photos coming soon) It is awesome! Its my first planeand its so handy.

In my opinion I'm making things for my family that will hopefully be intheir family for years. Thats how I justify it anyway.
R Hart
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

I bought the previous version vice when it was on sale in 2012. About 4 months ago I found the same thing at a local hardware store for $18 though it did not have two Sliding T-nuts like the one from SS. The newer version might be worth the asking price, but the older really is about a $20 vice so adding two Sliding T-nuts gets it close to $30 in value. I guess if I were to do it over, I'd look for a vise that had the capabilities I wanted, buy it and create a jig (utilizing the Sliding T-nuts)

A friend has the P-C dovetail jig AND the Leigh. He prefers the P-C for it's simplicity. The Leigh was too difficult to set up (his words). The horiz finger jig knobs need something like lock nuts to keep them from shifting. Cheap and easy fix, but something that I believe P-C should have fixed. There is a mention about this on the Woodsmith show, but I do not remember which show or season. I also recall that using a piece of same thickness wood on the opposite side of the fingers prevents racking.

I have one Gripper and early next year will get the second (really do need two!:rolleyes: ) along with the bridge and the 1/8" legs and adjustable handle (tried a friend's and it made a huge difference in mental comfort! In other words I have no clue it it makes any difference safety wise, but just the ability to have the handle twist more to get better torque on smaller pieces is worth the expense (to me).

Enjoy your new presents!!

Be well,
Ben
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

T-Nuts are almost a necessity for this project. Yes, there are other ways to accomplish this but t-nuts are, IMHO, preferred. The cost of t-nuts must be considered when evaluating this "special deal". The hardware pack that comes with this offer must be considered. It appears to include threaded inserts, t-nuts and a handful of machine screws. Sure would be nice if these details were included in the advertisement.

Don't overlook the fact that t-nuts need not be dedicated to a specific jig. I did that for a while but soon realized that I was compiling a costly collection of hardware. I now dedicate t-nuts only to very frequently used jigs.

Hmmm Those peanut butter jars that I have in the shop might be chucked full of valuable treasure. I can't tell if this is a dozen, a gross or a single unit but my guess is that it is 8 each.

This video may be helpful if you plan to build the sliding base for the vise or anything else that uses threaded inserts.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Dusty,
Thanks for that video for installing inserts. I have 16 to do.
His comment about the slot in the end was a revelation to me. Probably save a lot of frustration.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Gene Howe wrote:Dusty,
Thanks for that video for installing inserts. I have 16 to do.
His comment about the slot in the end was a revelation to me. Probably save a lot of frustration.
You would not have used a screw driver in that slot for very long. It just does not work. Now we know why. It is not a screw driver slot.

I have good success with these when being inserted into real wood; not so good into MDF. I have better success when using the drill press and not quite so good when trying to use a drill motor.

Practice on some scrap wood!:eek:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.