Sealing/Filling End Grain

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gryphon
Bronze Member

Sealing/Filling End Grain

Post by gryphon »

Does anyone have a technique for filling the end grain of lumber so that subsequent light sanding will produce a smooth finish? Even careful sanding on my part still leaves the end grain porous with subsequent primer and painting producing a differing finish. Would hope for some sort of a wood putty or filler that could be sanded smooth after application. Am currently working on a project using poplar and red oak, 3/4" x 4" ends.

Thanks!
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Sand end with one grit finer

Post by Greenvilleguy »

The time honored solution is to sand end grain one grit more, i.e. with red oak, sand the main pieces to 220 and the end grain to 300 or 320.

I've also read that you can put a wash coat of very thin shellac to seal the end grain, but I've personally never done this.
burnsrk
Silver Member

Another solution?

Post by burnsrk »

Woodworkers Supply sells J.E. MOSER'S® TRANSPARENT WATER BASED GRAIN FILLER. I have never tried it but I would think a transparent filler would work well.
kerick913
Bronze Member

end grain

Post by kerick913 »

I used a varnish or varathane thinned with mineral spirits to partially seal the pores prior to putting on my stain. That was when I was doing some work with pine. It worked pretty well, was cheap, and was quick. Try it on scrap wood first.
pepe
Bronze Member

end grain lumber

Post by pepe »

Ive been using LINSEED OIL for about 30 years for any end grain wood. Never had any trouble with staining or finishing of any sort. I apply it by rag or small brush -- takes about 2 minutes to dry- also if you get some on the other edges it does no harm to the wood. this is one product that is always in my shop--GOOD LUCK