Can I convert my headstock to 220VAC?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

bigjohn1 wrote:Well I would think it's not a bad Idea because your power cost to run at 220 should be a lot cheaper then 110 not sure how long it would take to make up 300 and change for the change.

Taint so! Watts are Watts regardless if at 240v or at 120v.

The 240v motor can be run on 120v(rearrange 4 wires).

The advantage of the 240v motor is the decreased current draw(current is halved). Also greatly reduces the start up surge current.

I bought my Goldie new that way, even though it required a 'special order'(Montgomery Ward did not stock them).

I have never regretted doing so.

P.S. It will not run cooler due to 'decreased current'. The same current is flowing through each run winding regardless of the series/parallel(240/120) hookup/.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
bigjohn1
Gold Member

Post by bigjohn1 »

JPG40504 wrote:Taint so! Watts are Watts regardless if at 240v or at 120v.

The 240v motor can be run on 120v(rearrange 4 wires).

The advantage of the 240v motor is the decreased current draw(current is halved). Also greatly reduces the start up surge current.

I bought my Goldie new that way, even though it required a 'special order'(Montgomery Ward did not stock them).

I have never regretted doing so.

P.S. It will not run cooler due to 'decreased current'. The same current is flowing through each run winding regardless of the series/parallel(240/120) hookup/.
So your talking watts and watts used at 220 are the same as 110 just has less draw on the amperage. Is not less amperage mean less watts used?
If not I can understand that also.
So If there is a 220 volt SS forsale can it be changed to run at 110 without changing motors?
Mark V 500
Bandsaw
Jointer
Jigsaw
Belt Sander Now a 1956 greenie
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

bigjohn1 wrote:So your talking watts and watts used at 220 are the same as 110 just has less draw on the amperage. Is not less amperage mean less watts used?
If not I can understand that also.
So If there is a 220 volt SS forsale can it be changed to run at 110 without changing motors?
230v model can be rewired to 120v.

Consider the 'power' to each winding(the dual voltage is accomplished by separating the two run windings and either connecting them in series or parallel).

When running on 230V the current is flowing through both windings connected in series. Assuming a current of 5A at 230V, the power is 230V x 5A = 1150W. Each winding consumes half of that(5A at 115v = 575W each).

When running on 115V, the current is doubled since the windings are connected in parallel connected in parallel and the power is 115V x 10A = 1150W. Each winding again consumes 115 x 5A = 575W.

Although the the line current doubles at 115V, that current(10A) is divided between the parallel connected windings. At 230V, the current(5A) is common to both series connected windings.

Regardless of the line voltage(230V/115V), each winding has 115V across it.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
bigjohn1
Gold Member

Post by bigjohn1 »

Thanks JP for the info and I always thought 240 was cheaper to run then 120v Oh well live and learn I'm sure a lot think the same way.
Mark V 500
Bandsaw
Jointer
Jigsaw
Belt Sander Now a 1956 greenie
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

bigjohn1 wrote:Thanks JP for the info and I always thought 240 was cheaper to run then 120v Oh well live and learn I'm sure a lot think the same way.
One side note: Since the current is halved, any losses due to the resistance of the supply wiring with be reduced. This helps during startup. Startup surge duration tends to be less. Also losses during full workload loading due to the supply wiring resistance are also halved.

That be why 230V makes more sense for larger power loads. Large industrial equipment run on even higher voltages.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

I know it costs more upfront but this is a good time to consider the PowerPro upgrade, after reselling the motor, bearings, quill, pulleys, switch, speed changer and speed reducer the cost was very low and it runs on 120 and 240 plus the rest of the PowerPro benefits.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

Post by stephen_a._draper »

Shopsmith no longer offers item #513968 which is a 240 V 50/60 Hz motor so the only option now is the Power Pro.
Shopsmith Mark V 500, planer, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander. Grizzly central dust collection 6" PVC trunk.
Stephen A. Draper
Bellevue Nebraska
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

stephen_a._draper wrote:Shopsmith no longer offers item #513968 which is a 240 V 50/60 Hz motor so the only option now is the Power Pro.

I will repeat what I said 2 years ago, the only way to go it the PowerPro because with the extra voltage you do get significantly more power and it still runs on 120 if you need it to.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The powerpro eliminated the need for two low volume unique parts for 50 hz countries(motor and main shaft pulley(IIUC)). It also provides those countries with a higher powered motor.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

danscot
Gold Member

Post by danscot »

That was very thoughtful of Shopsmith to consider the non 60Hz world. Unfortunately, as I understand it, new Shopsmith equipment is not readily available outside of North America.

I know the Powerpro is not available in 230V, 50Hz UK. Probably something to do with European legislation covering electrical safety testing. SS likely don't see a sufficiently large market potential to warrant that extra cost.

So if Freedomlives wants to upgrade, on your next trip to the States, you better take a large case ... With wheels :)