Can I convert my headstock to 220VAC?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chrispitude
Gold Member

Can I convert my headstock to 220VAC?

Post by chrispitude »

Hi all,

I am contemplating running some additional electrical circuits in my garage to add more capacity. I will be adding a 220VAC circuit for a future dust collector. While I am in there, it would also be easy to add an additional 220VAC circuit for the Shopsmith. Can the Shopsmith headstock easily be converted to 220VAC?

If so, I am also wondering if it's common to run both the Shopsmith and a dust collector on the same 30A circuit?

Thanks all!

- Chris
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

chrispitude wrote:Hi all,

I am contemplating running some additional electrical circuits in my garage to add more capacity. I will be adding a 220VAC circuit for a future dust collector. While I am in there, it would also be easy to add an additional 220VAC circuit for the Shopsmith. Can the Shopsmith headstock easily be converted to 220VAC?

If so, I am also wondering if it's common to run both the Shopsmith and a dust collector on the same 30A circuit?

Thanks all!

- Chris
I believe the only way to change over your Shopsmith to 220 is to replace the motor.
Not sure of the exact amperage of the SS 220 motor but I would guess it to be around 7-8 amps so depending on the amp draw of your dust collector a 30 amp service would probably be more than enough.

Since you are rewiring and short of replacing the motor I would put in a dedicated 110 line for your SS. I did this, along with replacing the actual SS line cord with one from 12 gauge wire. My power problems are over. To bog down my machine now you have to try and even then it isn't easy. Certainly full blade depth cutting in 3 inch thick oak won't do it.
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

I have a Shopsmith with a 240V motor. The Shopsmith motor is wired for a single voltage, which is most common for smaller single phase motors. Since motors today are machine wound it might not be possible, or economically feasible, for an electric motor shop to change it. Shopsmith has 240 volt motors. They are rather expensive, but have had them on "special" from time to time. You might check with customer service.

You did not specify the HP of your dust collector. You can generally count on about 6 amps per HP at 240V. If you add the amperage of everything on your line you need to be about 25% under the limit of your circuit breaker. A little more cushion might be in order for induction type electric motors as the ampreage inrush at starting is 4 to 5 times the full load current.
chrispitude
Gold Member

Post by chrispitude »

8iowa wrote:I have a Shopsmith with a 240V motor. The Shopsmith motor is wired for a single voltage, which is most common for smaller single phase motors. Since motors today are machine wound it might not be possible, or economically feasible, for an electric motor shop to change it. Shopsmith has 240 volt motors. They are rather expensive, but have had them on "special" from time to time. You might check with customer service.
Thanks Ed and 8iowa! Based on Ed's feedback, it sounds like a stout dedicated 20A circuit is the way to go for me, along with a power cord upgrade. The advantage is that the unit can be moved to a different location and could still plug into "normal" outlets, and it sounds like any disadvantage of lowered performance versus a 240V motor would be negligible.

What's funny is, if it were easily converted to 2-phase, it would be less work for me as I'd just need to run one additional circuit to the SS and DC, versus two. :)

- Chris
dusty
Platinum Member

Can I convert my headstock to 200VAC

Post by dusty »

Yes, buy a 220 vac Shopsmith motor and your off and running. The 220vac motor is rated at 6.3 amps (each leg). With the dust collector on the same circuit, drawing 6-8 amps, a 15 amp circuit would be marginal. I'd put in a 220 vac 20 circuit breaker.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
chrispitude
Gold Member

Post by chrispitude »

dusty wrote:Yes, buy a 220 vac Shopsmith motor and your off and running. The 220vac motor is rated at 6.3 amps (each leg). With the dust collector on the same circuit, drawing 6-8 amps, a 15 amp circuit would be marginal. I'd put in a 220 vac 20 circuit breaker.
Hi dusty,

Thanks for your help as always. Wow, I checked and the motor was a lot cheaper than I was expecting ($367 assuming that 513968 is the right part number). Do you know how involved a motor swap is?

Honestly, I like the idea of running one 220VAC line better because I only have room in my breaker panel for that. To run an additional 110VAC line, I'd need to combine some other breakers to free up an additional slot, and I'd rather not get into that if I can avoid it.

I bought my current headstock brand new from Shopsmith a few years ago, and this 110VAC motor probably has maybe 20 minutes of runtime on it (if that). I could put it up on Ebay as a nearly new motor.

- Chris
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

That is the part number for a 220 vac motor.

I have no experience with a swap but I have removed and reinstalled the motor. That job is really not hard. Putting in a 220 motor can't be much different. Especially if you understand the electrical or have a helper that does.

Call Shopsmith customer service (1-800-762-7555) and ask if they have an instruction sheet for the procedure. Make certain that you have any new parts that might be required (power cord, switch, thru grommet). It may all be in a kit with the motor (ask customer service).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

I guess I'm wondering why one would want to go to 220 motor?

From what I've read here I see no compelling reason for a change except change.

You get no more power from a 220 setup, and you loose the ability to use it almost everywhere. My shopsmith has moved between two homes with me and has been sent off on some missions to friends houses along with me to operate it. At this point I have two machines so 2 of my 3 kids will be getting one (have to see about a third one I guess) and when they get them I feel it will be much easier for them the way they are.

So what am I missing??

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
osx-addict
Gold Member

Post by osx-addict »

reible wrote:Hi,

I guess I'm wondering why one would want to go to 220 motor?

From what I've read here I see no compelling reason for a change except change.

I was kinda wondering the same thing.. One of the nice things about the SS is the portability.. My brother and I rebuilt an entire garage door one afternoon using a combination of hand tools, a circular saw and a jointer.. It would have been really nice to have an SS available and ready to go for such an adventure.. Unfortunately, I didn't know what an SS was at the time so a circular saw was used (my delta table saw was WAAAY too heavy to move from my garage)..

What would keep you from running that 220v line down to your workspace and putting in another sub-panel and run 110 that way to your SS? That's what we did just this past summer during a remodel.. Instead of loading the garage with runs to the panel, we had the electrician run a 220 line to the garage and add a sub-panel and then everything in the garage is off that.. I've got a single 20A plug in case I ever have a big tool that needs it, but my SS will remain 110..
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

For me, there is no compelling reason. But this world is full of individuals and each one has the right to have it "their way".

Now don't get me wrong here, my SS is not underpowered: My 12" stand alone TS runs on 220 and has much more power then my SS. That may partly be why I wood (sp) never consider a 220 motor for the SS.Image
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.