18 inches of waytubes

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sharka
Silver Member

18 inches of waytubes

Post by sharka »

I chopped 18 inches off my waytubes, Curious what people done with the leftovers, I was considering cutting short pieces and making drawer pulls for large cabinets. Thought I would ask and see what other ideas were out there, Do not particularly want to use them for table legs although they are a good height, Thanks.
2centsworth
Gold Member

Scrap...

Post by 2centsworth »

I like you wasn't sure what to do with them. The better half said take them to the scrap yard and get them out of the garage. $6 bucks later I am glad I freed up the mess. :D
Jerry Penny
2centsworth
The Woodlands, Tx
SS 520 SN#518424 2000 (reversed motor), Shopsmith 10 E (shorty) fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER (under going restoration), Greenie Shorty sanding station, Greenie Mini jointer station, SS Bandsaw power station, SS Planner, SS overhead pin router, SS Belt Sander, SS Strip Sander,, SS Jigsaw, SS Dust Collector, Ringmaster, and still having fun looking for more !
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

They make wedge position holders when removing/installing the headstock on the way tubes. Work far better than paper towel core tubes.

A pair in a hinge end casting(securely mounted) makes a handy headstock 'holder' while 'servicing'.

Me, I never discard anything. Yes it shows!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
debrown
Gold Member

Post by debrown »

Never throw away anything, just build more sheds to store em.:D :D
Don
In the Florida Panhandle

Give me a sense of humor, Lord, Give me the grace to see a joke,
To get some pleasure out of life and pass it on to the other folk.
— J. Maurus

'83 500 and '03 520 Anniversary Edition
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

I am back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nephews is grate but no at home net!!!!!!!Wind chimes!!!!!!!
Measure once, cut as many times as needed to get it right! Bob
56/57 Greenie with jointer, 85 Mark V with band saw, 63 Goldie with jointer, 3 ER 10s, 1951 vintage, Hernia from the Er 10s, Tool Shop SS clone 6" jointer, and 6" belt sander, Delta 10" TS, Buffalo 6" jointer, Craftsman 12" BS, 10" Ryobi planer. Compound Miter, and misc.
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

I used the cutoffs to make a jig for fixing headstocks. I had an extra pivoting end, so I mounted that to a piece of plywood.
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: 18 inches of waytubes

Post by jsburger »

sharka wrote:I chopped 18 inches off my waytubes, Curious what people done with the leftovers, I was considering cutting short pieces and making drawer pulls for large cabinets. Thought I would ask and see what other ideas were out there, Do not particularly want to use them for table legs although they are a good height, Thanks.

I made a shorty from parts I bought on eBay. I cut 18" off the tubes and kept them. "Don't ever throw anything out!!!" Years later when I bought the Power Pro and double tilt upgrade I used the old head stock and the bench end castings along with more parts from eBay and the 18" cutoffs to make a dedicated MK V drill press. The full length way tube are 10er thick tubes.
Attachments
DSCF1154 (480x640).jpg
DSCF1154 (480x640).jpg (219.29 KiB) Viewed 3304 times
DSCF1168_Small.jpg
DSCF1168_Small.jpg (294.03 KiB) Viewed 3304 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
sharka wrote:I chopped 18 inches off my waytubes, Curious what people done with the leftovers, I was considering cutting short pieces and making drawer pulls for large cabinets. Thought I would ask and see what other ideas were out there, Do not particularly want to use them for table legs although they are a good height, Thanks.

I made a shorty from parts I bought on eBay. I cut 18" off the tubes and kept them. "Don't ever throw anything out!!!" Years later when I bought the Power Pro and double tilt upgrade I used the old head stock and the bench end castings along with more parts from eBay and the 18" cutoffs to make a dedicated MK V drill press. The full length way tube are 10er thick tubes.
Very nice 'conversion'. I think I woulda put the '10' tubes on the 'power pro' machine. ;)

I intend to have an early 510 with pp upgrade in an A casting and 10 tubes.

Think multi generational. :D Parts from the 'beginning' and the immediate present and times in between.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

I used some cutoffs to help build a wood "cradle" in a combination shorty+OPR station. See the 2nd photo in the thread here:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... f=7&t=6384

Have fun!
Chris
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:

Very nice 'conversion'. I think I woulda put the '10' tubes on the 'power pro' machine. ;)

I intend to have an early 510 with pp upgrade in an A casting and 10 tubes.

Think multi generational. :D Parts from the 'beginning' and the immediate present and times in between.

The machine I converted to the Power Pro was my original MK V 510 I bought new at Woodcraft in 1994. It is now a 520 Power Pro MK 7 and already had 10ER way tubes.

When I built the shorty years ago I had the 10ER tubes but I just couldn't bring my self to cut them for the shorty. So I put them on the then 520 and used the 520 tubes on the shorty along with a set of bench tubes from eBay.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT