Bow making question

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Bow making question

Post by JPG »

algale wrote:
JPG wrote:
Ed in Tampa wrote:
.............Beeg said:I just saw on PBS, Woodsmith shop. They used contact cement for glue up of a tambour door. Which wood flex a lot.

the wood on tambour doors does not flex. Narrow pieces of wood are glued to canvas and any flexing is the canvas that is between the wood strips. Like a hinge.

The old timey tambour doors had a cylinder and trough shape on opposite edges and no canvas. Also thicker by necessity.
I don't know what you mean by "old timey" but when tambour was introduced in the late 18th Century it was thin and glued to cloth. Maybe you refer to "roll top" furniture which is a later development.

I stand corrected. :o I was indeed thinking of roll top desk etc..

So make that Mid timey? Or just plain a different animal!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
james22
Bronze Member

Post by james22 »

I think that would locate the 'flex' where it is least desirable .
Last edited by james22 on Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

It places the "flex" where is is needed!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Easy to mix, easy to use. For all laminated bows. Works for bamboo backed bows too. This is the epoxy that nearly every bowyer in the United States uses. For use on fiberglass laminated bows and any other wood-to-wood or wood-to-bamboo applications. Sold as a 2 pint set (one pint part A and one pint part B). https://www.3riversarchery.com/smooth-o ... -glue.html

This is supposed to work well to . Bowsmith epoxy
https://www.ebay.com/itm/312732985485
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

UD DPT OF AGRICULTURE
Glues for wood in archery use

https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplt ... 6-1952.pdf
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:10 pm
beeg wrote:I just saw on PBS, Woodsmith shop. They used contact cement for glue up of a tambour door. Which wood flex a lot.
I think that would locate the 'flex' where it is least desirable. ;)
james22 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:43 am I think that would locate the 'flex' where it is least desirable.
I'm thinking SPAM is on the menu... ;) This is/was james22's first post and follows a recent pattern of reopening an older thread with copied content. We'll know for sure when 'he' edits the post.

- David
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

DLB wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:44 pm
JPG wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:10 pm
beeg wrote:I just saw on PBS, Woodsmith shop. They used contact cement for glue up of a tambour door. Which wood flex a lot.
I think that would locate the 'flex' where it is least desirable. ;)
james22 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:43 am I think that would locate the 'flex' where it is least desirable.
I'm thinking SPAM is on the menu... ;) This is/was james22's first post and follows a recent pattern of reopening an older thread with copied content. We'll know for sure when 'he' edits the post.

- David
Exactly my thought!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

JPG wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:30 am It places the "flex" where is is needed!
"it" is also modifying quotes.

But then, maybe DLB messed it up????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:29 pm

Always possible and sometimes likely. But I (along with the new member) was quoting an earlier entry of yours from July 9, 2015, not the one from today. Different context for sure.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

DLB wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:03 pm
JPG wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:29 pm

Always possible and sometimes likely. But I (along with the new member) was quoting an earlier entry of yours from July 9, 2015, not the one from today. Different context for sure.

- David
Look (back) again! My 'later' quote was of my ORIGINAL post that got modified in your post.
Ya got two quotes jumbled. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝