Bow making question

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Bow making question

Post by robinson46176 »

Those who make bows, if you make a bow that is laminated what is your adhesive of choice? It obviously needs to be very strong and very flexible...

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
beeg
Platinum Member

Re: Bow making question

Post by beeg »

I just saw on PBS, Woodsmith shop. They used contact cement for glue up of a tambour door. Which wood flex a lot.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

From the practical sense epoxy would most likely be the glue of choice. A bow would need to be able to withstand extreme temperature and moisture levels and also it is strong enough to withstand the flexing a bow would undergo.
Paul
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

beeg wrote:I just saw on PBS, Woodsmith shop. They used contact cement for glue up of a tambour door. Which wood flex a lot.
I think that would locate the 'flex' where it is least desirable. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
pinebeetle
Silver Member

Post by pinebeetle »

I have a friend that makes very nice recurve and long bows. I emailed him, will let you know.
pinebeetle
Silver Member

Post by pinebeetle »

He reports that he uses Smooth On, a two part epoxy. works well on wood and fiberglass. His bows are beautiful an work very well.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

pinebeetle wrote:He reports that he uses Smooth On, a two part epoxy. works well on wood and fiberglass. His bows are beautiful an work very well.

Thanks Pinebeetle, I'll look for that. I want to make some "refinements" to the bow I made quickly a couple of years ago at an "event".
I then want to make a new one from scratch laminated from about 3 kinds of wood.
The first one was made from a very invasive species of buckthorn that is about to take over many woods here in Central Indiana. It is remarkably strong, usually grows with a slight curve in it, is generally knot free and rives very straight and smooth.
The next one I want to try to laminate a layer of ash, osage-orange/hedge and buckthorn. Beyond lamination it will not be anything fancy.
The first one was hand made around a campfire as a for fun only survival skills test We were allowed to have a hatchet, drawknife, spokeshave and a knife. The second one I want to make in my shop.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

beeg wrote:I just saw on PBS, Woodsmith shop. They used contact cement for glue up of a tambour door. Which wood flex a lot.
the wood on tambour doors does not flex. Narrow pieces of wood are glued to canvas and any flexing is the canvas that is between the wood strips. Like a hinge.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ed in Tampa wrote:
the wood on tambour doors does not flex. Narrow pieces of wood are glued to canvas and any flexing is the canvas that is between the wood strips. Like a hinge.

The old timey tambour doors had a cylinder and trough shape on opposite edges and no canvas. Also thicker by necessity.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

JPG wrote:
Ed in Tampa wrote:

The old timey tambour doors had a cylinder and trough shape on opposite edges and no canvas. Also thicker by necessity.
I don't know what you mean by "old timey" but when tambour was introduced in the late 18th Century it was thin and glued to cloth. Maybe you refer to "roll top" furniture which is a later development.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!