Tool Identification

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

GeorgeM
Gold Member

Re: Tool Identification

Post by GeorgeM »

JPG wrote:#3 may be a model 10 vintage arbor. The nuts are not however. Question is, what thread size are the set screw holes?
5/16-18 is the thread size for the set screws

GeorgeM
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

GeorgeM wrote:
JPG wrote:#3 may be a model 10 vintage arbor. The nuts are not however. Question is, what thread size are the set screw holes?

GeorgeM

I bet that one is different! ;) Finer thread and or different diameter likely.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
GeorgeM
Gold Member

Post by GeorgeM »

JPG wrote:
GeorgeM wrote:

GeorgeM

I'm not sure just what you mean, but the shaft is 1/2 x 20 -- is that what you meant?
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

The set screw size and the arbor threads (1/2-20 for shaper cutters) are correct along with the 5/8 bore. It will definitely work on a SS. However, as I said in another post I doubt it is actually a SS product. I don't believe SS ever made an arbor with two set screws on the spindle end. Since all SS spindles have a tapered flat there is no reason for two set screws. The picture of that arbor in the 10ER version of PTWFE only has one set screw. The rub collars are also missing.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
sswoodworker48
Gold Member

Post by sswoodworker48 »

#5 looks like a leveling leg from a ladder but missing the attachment pieces. Similar to the one I have for my Little Giant ladder http://www.sears.com/little-giant-10600 ... ockType=G1
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

GeorgeM wrote:
JPG wrote:
GeorgeM wrote: JPG said-[#3 may be a model 10 vintage arbor. The nuts are not however. Question is, what thread size are the set screw holes?]

GeorgeM

I'm not sure just what you mean, but the shaft is 1/2 x 20 -- is that what you meant?

No, the subject is the set screws.

I have some like that that came with the 10E. Some are allen head, and some are screw driver slot. None are 5/16-18, but have finer pitch threads and some are smaller than 5/16. I cannot say anything re their origin.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
GeorgeM
Gold Member

Post by GeorgeM »

I'm not sure just what you mean, but the shaft is 1/2 x 20 -- is that what you meant?[/quote]

No, the subject is the set screws.

I have some like that that came with the 10E. Some are allen head, and some are screw driver slot. None are 5/16-18, but have finer pitch threads and some are smaller than 5/16. I cannot say anything re their origin.[/quote]

Well, I think we about beat this one to death, so I'm going to let it die.

Thanks everyone for your help! Now lets take a look at my sanding belt questions :)

GeorgeM