Tool Identification

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

GeorgeM
Gold Member

Tool Identification

Post by GeorgeM »

Hi All

When I bought my ShopSmith I was given a box of miscellaneous parts, a few of which I don't recognize. I'm posting them in the hope that someone will know what they are. Since this is my try at posting pictures, I hope they post OK.

GeorgeM
IMG_1059.JPG (131.64 KiB) Viewed 4112 times
IMG_1050.JPG (137.08 KiB) Viewed 4112 times
#4 What tool has a 1/2" drive?
#4 What tool has a 1/2" drive?
IMG_1052.JPG (157.86 KiB) Viewed 4112 times
IMG_1051.JPG (93.68 KiB) Viewed 4112 times
IMG_1054.JPG (118.61 KiB) Viewed 4112 times
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Tool Identification

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

#1: Rip pawl from a radial arm saw.
#4: Jointer, jigsaw, scroll saw. http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... r_hubs.htm
GeorgeM
Gold Member

Post by GeorgeM »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:#1: Rip pawl from a radial arm saw.
#4: Jointer, jigsaw, scroll saw. http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... r_hubs.htm
Well, since I don't have a radial arm saw,that tool wll go to the scrap heap for recycling. Or perhaps I'll look at Ebay first.

Thanks Dennis!

GeorgeM
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

GeorgeM wrote:
BuckeyeDennis wrote:#1: Rip pawl from a radial arm saw.
Well, since I don't have a radial arm saw,that tool wll go to the scrap heap for recycling. Or perhaps I'll look at Ebay first.

Thanks Dennis!

GeorgeM
Do check eBay. Those pawls have a tendency to get separated from the saws, so there's usually a decent demand for them. If you post the shaft dimensions, buyers can figure out if it will fit their saws.

I had better luck searching eBay using the term "kickback". Here's a search of sold listings.
GeorgeM
Gold Member

Post by GeorgeM »

So, no one can help me out with # 3 or #5?

GeorgeM
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Well no. 3 is an arbor, very likely not shopsmith, that would mount on a motor shaft to allow the mounting of wire wheels/grinding wheels/buffing wheels etc. The hole size would determine what size shaft it fits.

No idea on the other part.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
cham-ed
Gold Member

Post by cham-ed »

#3 is an arbor for 10E & 10ER Shopsmiths. It had collars to clamp the saw blade.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

cham-ed wrote:#3 is an arbor for 10E & 10ER Shopsmiths. It had collars to clamp the saw blade.

As Reible said #3 is an arbor. The ID must be 5/8" to fit a SS. As Reible also said it is probably not SS. I don't believe SS ever made an arbor that had 2 set screws on the end that attaches to the spindle.

I could be wrong and if I am someone will let me know. :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
GeorgeM
Gold Member

Post by GeorgeM »

jsburger wrote:
cham-ed wrote:#3 is an arbor for 10E & 10ER Shopsmiths. It had collars to clamp the saw blade.

As Reible said #3 is an arbor. The ID must be 5/8" to fit a SS. As Reible also said it is probably not SS. I don't believe SS ever made an arbor that had 2 set screws on the end that attaches to the spindle.

I could be wrong and if I am someone will let me know. :D
Yup, it's 5/8" and it could fit any available spindle, such as on the Belt Sander etc. Thanks for all the help. It seems that #5 is not Shopsmith.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

#3 may be a model 10 vintage arbor. The nuts are not however. Question is, what thread size are the set screw holes?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange