Seeking some ideas (dome light)

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Seeking some ideas (dome light)

Post by reible »

So here is the real one that you can buy.
lamp.jpg
lamp.jpg (70.25 KiB) Viewed 5678 times
Now if one were to make one of these it seems pretty strait forward. All the parts except for the wood base you can buy. So guess what I get to do? I get to make the base, were you right with your guess?

Need less to say I have only this picture to go on and since it is my nature to over think things I thought perhaps some discussion here might make for some clarity, muddy the waters even more.

As you can see the base on the store model could be made by a simple turning. Keep in mind that the electrical will go through the base and out the side. This means some counter bore on the bottom of the base for access.
all must have wiring area below.jpg
all must have wiring area below.jpg (33.32 KiB) Viewed 5678 times
It was suggested that the wood be 1-1/4" thick and about 8" round. The dome is in the range of 5-1/2" x 10". I haven't seen the dome but I will measure it when I do for actual diameter before turning.

I've come up with 3 ideas of how I might want to do this.

The first is like the picture.
conventional dome base.jpg
conventional dome base.jpg (18.43 KiB) Viewed 5678 times
The issue I see with this method is that the recess will be limited to how deep it can be due to the hole that needs to be in the bottom for the wires. It must be able to be done as that is what we see in the picture.

Second would be the compliment. I sort of like this as the glass of the dome is more prominent.
maybe dome base.jpg
maybe dome base.jpg (18.64 KiB) Viewed 5678 times
The other idea that I like is this.
this might work dome base.jpg
this might work dome base.jpg (17.22 KiB) Viewed 5678 times
So now it your turn, what ideas might you have in addition to these 3? Do you like one of these better then the others and why?

Now is the over thinking part. The glass dome will be pretty stable but the wood will move. It will move like wood does and what I would not like to see happen is for the wood movement to damage the dome as that is the expensive part of the project ($25+). Now I can make the fit pretty loose, that wouldn't provide much support for the dome but maybe that is OK? Any other ideas on this subject?

BTW the bulb will be a LED so we are talking like 8 watts of heat load.....

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Seeking some ideas (dome light)

Post by JPG »

I think the recess as shown in the pix is preferable, but with a 'twist'.(Jehosaphat, are those staples?)

The twist being a combination of the recess and the 'groove', but the groove being very wide. The groove OD should provide for wood movement(plenty of clearance). Not so wide however so that it's diameter(ID) is larger than the recess underneath. That recess underneath need not be very large anyway.

As for the wire 'exiting', either a hole or a trough will do. A hole at the periphery to a trough inside would look nicer and be easier than a through hole.

Inline switch?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I think JPG has it correct. You could glue two 3/4 pieces of stock together and cut it almost round on the band saw and true it up on the lathe. The bottom has to be deep enough to clear the threaded rod from the bulb base as well as the wire going through the edge.
I would not cut the groove for the dome without having the dome in hand. They will vary slightly in size. The groove can be cut on the lathe using a SHARP parting tool.
The bottom recess as JPG stated does not have to be very large in diameter but does have to be deep enough to contain the stud and the wire.
Glass domes can be obtained from places that supply chemistry labs with vacuum vessels.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

If you're worried about wood expansion version dome stability, you could build it with enough slop to allow for expansion and use some of those rubber balls that door makers use to keep panels from moving around to take up the space and keep it from moving around too easily. You'll still be able to remove the dome for bulb replacement when necessary.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Inline switch is what I think was planed. I have some of the hardware here but the switch is while while the cord is brown... maybe that is is it will be easier to find?

I think the dome came from Hobby Lobby as of yet I have not seen it but yes I will wait until I have it in hand before I do any cutting.

The groove might be best done with a router, I have done this sort of thing before for other projects and it is easier then attempting to turn it and keep the groove clean.

Yes I have the carter circle cutting guide for my shopsmith bandsaw so I can get it pretty close then turn to the correct size. I think a very simple radius on the outside edge will work, want the lamp to be the main focus and the wood to just sort of playing a supporting role.

This is the hardware so far:
IMG_9917sc.jpg
IMG_9917sc.jpg (107.19 KiB) Viewed 5633 times
Ed
S Brian
Gold Member

Post by S Brian »

I make all the wood bases, for custom lamps, for our local lamp shop. I never cut or rout a groove in the base for the wire. Whether the base is round or rectangular, I always drill a 1/4" hole through the sidewall and into the bottom counterbore. I have drilled this hole in bases as big as 18" diameter. It is much neater looking than a groove.
Brian
Mark V-500 Purchased New In 1980, SS Bandsaw (free), SS Jointer, SS 6x48 Belt Sander (free), SS Storage Station (free), Powermatic 64A Table Saw, Powermatic 1140F Drill Press, Delta 46-460 Midi-Lathe, Delta Scrollsaw, Bosch 12" Dual Compound Miter Saw, MLCS Router Table w/Bosch Router, Penn State dust collector.
Steamdragon
Gold Member

Post by Steamdragon »

Check out my friends page for some ideas on some great lamps. The bases in the final lamps are cast resin but he makes the originals in wood.
http://www.jwkinseysartifice.com/jwkins ... tures.html
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

My opinion the bottom pic the one with the groove to hold the glass is best.
If it were me I would cut the disk out on my bandsaw. Rout the groove with my router and bull nose the out side of the disk. Then rout a recess in the bottom and using a drill under the apex of the bull nose drill a hole for the cord. A nice finish and I think the whole thing would highlight the bulb the object of the whole project.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Thanks all!

We did make some progress on this project. It looks like we will make 3 of these and perhaps one smaller version with smaller conventional Edison style bulb.

I think I'm sold on the hole in the base for the cord. I was leaning that way anyway. This should be really simple with a shopsmith, right?

The hole in the bottom for the wires I think will be done with a 2" drill bit, that looks like it will be a fine size. I think they want to put a piece of felt on the bottom which can cover the hole but be cut out if the cord needs replacing or something comes loose.

After mocking up a few ideas a wife factor will be added. I'm going to turn the base after cutting it round with the bandsaw. then the electrical bits will be added and a dome set over the bulb so it can be examined before committing to final diameter and thickness and dome mounting.

I hope to get started today after I get a bunch of other stuff done. Cool weather is setting in with a projected high of 50 degrees and possible frost tonight. I still have a few outdoor projects that I need to finish before it changes from cool weather to winter.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The bulb in action.
IMG_9918sc.jpg
IMG_9918sc.jpg (48.86 KiB) Viewed 5467 times
Ed