Le Machine that does nothing . . . .

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Jacob
Gold Member

Re: Le Machine that does nothing . . . .

Post by Jacob »

Ok Dave, here are two more pictures and a description of a couple components.
The wheel with the six slots mates with the clown and the two rounded surfaces slide past each other. But underneath the clown's hat (below the little ball) is a 1/4 inch dowel that slips into one of the slots as the clown rotates and carries the gear with it. When the dowel slips out, the gear stops until the dowel comes around to the next slot. Hence intermittent rotation.
machine 50.jpg
machine 50.jpg (37.35 KiB) Viewed 3195 times
The strange looking yoke and triangular 'gear' are sort of hidden inside. They are designed to provide lateral movement back and forth. As the gear rotates, the top corner pawl catches the yoke and moves it to the left. When the pawl slips out, the yoke stops momentarily until the bottom pawl shoves it to the right.
machine 51.jpg
machine 51.jpg (39.23 KiB) Viewed 3195 times
I did not want the yoke to rotate, so I made the right 'shaft' flat.
I hope that all makes sense.
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

It looks great! Why not post a YouTube video so we can see it in action?
Jacob
Gold Member

Post by Jacob »

berry wrote:It looks great! Why not post a YouTube video so we can see it in action?
I might do that when it is finished :confused: :p :o :rolleyes: :cool:
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Very nicely thought out and built. It reminds me of the hummingbird video that dhugger posted on Youtube. It was an engineering and artistic masterpiece, IMO. You engineers may not agree with the first part, I don't know. I can't get the link right now, since Youtube is deemed a security risk on the computer I'm working on right now. :(
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

ERLover wrote:John, what ya mean??? I could if I researched and put my mind and skills to it. So please explain. :)
Because I think Jacob's is way cool and just as good as the ones you linked to.
Last edited by jsburger on Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Jacob
Gold Member

Post by Jacob »

Bruce wrote:Very nicely thought out and built. It reminds me of the hummingbird video that dhugger posted on Youtube. It was an engineering and artistic masterpiece, IMO. You engineers may not agree with the first part, I don't know. I can't get the link right now, since Youtube is deemed a security risk on the computer I'm working on right now. :(
Here it is and there are several more interesting sculptures in that same series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1scj5sotD-E

If only Hugger had used wooden parts for the bearing and turnbuckles.
Jacob
Gold Member

Post by Jacob »

jsburger wrote:
ERLover wrote:John, what ya mean??? I could if I researched and put my mind and skills to it. So please explain. :)
Because I think Jacob's is way cool and just as good as the ones you linked to.
Ahhh. and a Merry Christmas to you JS.
Is it Jacob Smith??

BTW I should have called this 'La Machine'. At the time I did not know that this thing is a lady.
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

You're inspiring me to build a clock. A couple of years ago I built a gear-driven yarn winder designed by this guy. http://www.lisaboyer.com/Claytonsite/Claytonsite1.htm

But, after looking at your mechanism, I started looking at clocks designed by this guy http://www.woodenclocks.co.uk/mechanism ... jects.html. Looking around his stuff, it looks like your clown picture #50 is an example of a Geneva mechanism. I'm guessing that's what drives the date-change mechanism on a mechanical watch.

A lot of neat stuff I could do if I simply had the talent, drive, ambition, dedication, etc...
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

Wait a minute. Did you do what I think you did?

I'm looking at the clown picture. It appears that the gear the clown drives is made from 6 separate triangles all mitered together, rather than simply being cut from a single piece of wood. Am I right?
Jacob
Gold Member

Re: La Machine that does nothing . . . .

Post by Jacob »

davebodner wrote:Wait a minute. Did you do what I think you did?

I'm looking at the clown picture. It appears that the gear the clown drives is made from 6 separate triangles all mitered together, rather than simply being cut from a single piece of wood. Am I right?
Yes, it is. And don't ask me why. Although for the sprockets, for example, I found it better to cut the teeth with the grain sticking outwards. It is less likely to break.

I used mahogany for that piece, but several other wood species for the others. I have a piece of ebony but never worked with it yet.
Right now I am working on another addition and will show that some time next week.

I also changed the gender of 'La Machine'