Le Machine that does nothing . . . .

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Jacob
Gold Member

Le Machine that does nothing . . . .

Post by Jacob »

One of my never ending projects is this wooden machine that does a lot, but really nothing.
It has shafts, sprockets with chain, levers, gears, etc. All made out of woods of different kinds. When you crank the handle they all move but serve no function.
machine12.jpg
machine12.jpg (41.77 KiB) Viewed 3741 times
The whole thing has no metal parts and a few wooden pins so I can disassemble the whole in order to add something more to the right or left. It is simply a study of how things move (up and down, or side-ways as well as around and around). There are gears that have dowel pins for 90 degree turns and a 'intermittent' moving gear (shown in front) and lots more; (including an oil derrick).
machine10.jpg
machine10.jpg (48.13 KiB) Viewed 3741 times
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Re: Le Machine that does nothing . . . .

Post by ERLover »

NICE but I think this is one better, cant find the one I want but!!!
http://www.woodenclocks.co.uk/
and these, but have no idea, or kinda what it would to make yours and these, all hair pullers!!!!
https://www.google.com/search?q=wooden+ ... 35#imgrc=_
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

ERLover wrote:NICE but I think this is one better, cant find the one I want but!!!
http://www.woodenclocks.co.uk/
and these, but have no idea, or kinda what it would to make yours and these, all hair pullers!!!!
https://www.google.com/search?q=wooden+ ... 35#imgrc=_
Really? :confused: :confused:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
ERLover
Platinum Member

Post by ERLover »

John, what ya mean??? I could if I researched and put my mind and skills to it. So please explain. :)
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Regardless of it's purpose(or lack thereof) it is beautiful work and an inspiration to us all.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ERLover
Platinum Member

Post by ERLover »

I concur!!!!
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Jacob that is very cool ! Let us all remember that a work of art need not serve any function other than bringing joy to the beholder.
Paul
Jacob
Gold Member

Post by Jacob »

I recall that when I started this project someone asked me if I could make a wooden chain and sprocket.
When I did, it resulted in a lot more, as you can see.
I kept in mind the challenge of not using metal parts, and yet wanted to be able to disassemble things when I need to. Hence the dowel pins, etc.

I know about all sorts of wooden clocks and they look like interesting projects, to be sure. But in my case I don't follow plans, I just wing it and add what comes to mind (like bouncing balls, and dancing maidens, and flying saucers, and . . . .
Jacob
Gold Member

Post by Jacob »

Since you expressed some interest today, let me add a couple more pictures and comments. Here I have removed part of the frame to show the inside.
machine 10aa.jpg
machine 10aa.jpg (31.81 KiB) Viewed 3643 times
I must admit that there are a few pieces that used glue. The leaf spring, for example, to provide some tension to the idler for the chain.
The idler is barely visible as a simple wheel with a blunt edge.
machine 13a.jpg
machine 13a.jpg (29.1 KiB) Viewed 3643 times
I have always been fascinated by what can be done with linkages and cams, so I had to include some of those. In the top picture you can see a cam and follower to provide up and down motion to the part hanging at the end. I had several ideas what to do from there but now I forgot.
machine 12a.jpg
machine 12a.jpg (29.38 KiB) Viewed 3643 times
Just don't ask me what comes next but I am willing to listen.
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

I love it.