Scroll sawing into insanity

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Beave2012
Platinum Member

Scroll sawing into insanity

Post by Beave2012 »

I've done a fair amount of small fretwork on my scroll Saw, so I decide to do something larger and found this pattern online and printed it across 18 pages in tiles and patched them together. This is the start of the project after assembling the pattern.

It's about 27" wide at some points so I will need to get used to a spiral blade, not to mention this is the first time I have enlarged fretwork, usually i make it so small its crazy difficult. Should be a fun project. I will either do plywood or glue up some board, not entirely sure, I dislike the edges of plywood, but it would be much easier to prep.

This post is my motivation to complete it. Any guess on what it is?

-----------
EDIT: MISSION COMPLETE
IMAG0429-1600x900.jpg
IMAG0429-1600x900.jpg (221.23 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
-----------
Pages
Pages
IMAG0375-1600x900.jpg (205.88 KiB) Viewed 4869 times
Finished pattern
Finished pattern
IMAG0376-1600x900.jpg (225.66 KiB) Viewed 4869 times
Edit: that is a d-cell battery for scale.
Last edited by Beave2012 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Beave
Bruce
Platinum Member

Re: Scroll sawing into insanity

Post by Bruce »

A serving tray?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Mount on the wall?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

It's actually a shelf. Should be interesting seeing how it all locks in together and remain stable. But, with hundreds of inside cuts it should provide a nice road map towards pure relaxation or downfall into insanity. Having the wife color in the cuts so I don't risk cutting somewhere I am not supposed to.
-Beave
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

When I saw the photo, the phrase "insanely ornate" immediately came to mind. So guess which road I'm bettin' on? ;)

Now maybe that's just me. Before the kids came along, my wife was an avid needlepointer. That would be just the woodworking ticket for her. (Hey, not a bad idea, once we get a couple more teenagers out of the house!)
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

I've never had much luck with those spiral blades, but I really like scroll saw work. I think I'd opt for using wood vs. pw. Good luck.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Beave - had no idea what the design would produce, but did notice some rectangular cuts that looked like they could be part of a joint.

Congratulations on choosing a design like this!!!

Agree that this will be a HUGE project. Wow! -- As I looked at your challenge, I have become inspired to learn more about scroll work. Just what I need. Projects that weigh less than 50 lbs.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

That is indeed a daunting project. But no doubt will be awesome at the finish ! If you use wood what species would you use for that kind of project ?
Paul
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Beave2012 wrote:I've done a fair amount of small fretwork on my scroll Saw, so I decide to do something larger and found this pattern online and printed it across 18 pages in tiles and patched them together. This is the start of the project after assembling the pattern.

It's about 27" wide at some points so I will need to get used to a spiral blade, not to mention this is the first time I have enlarged fretwork, usually i make it so small its crazy difficult. Should be a fun project. I will either do plywood or glue up some board, not entirely sure, I dislike the edges of plywood, but it would be much easier to prep.

The attachment IMAG0375-1600x900.jpg is no longer available
The attachment IMAG0376-1600x900.jpg is no longer available
Don't worry, it will be no different than the small work. It will just take longer. Actually it will probably be easier since the internal cuts/openings are larger. Go for it with no reservations.

My wife does it all the time. She has not done anything quite that large but she thinks the larger pieces are easier since the cuts don't have to be so precise.

The picture is of a couple of her crosses.
Attachments
IMAG0078.jpg
IMAG0078.jpg (132.27 KiB) Viewed 4705 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

jsburger wrote:
Beave2012 wrote:I've done a fair amount of small fretwork on my scroll Saw, so I decide to do something larger and found this pattern online and printed it across 18 pages in tiles and patched them together. This is the start of the project after assembling the pattern.

The attachment IMAG0375-1600x900.jpg is no longer available
The attachment IMAG0376-1600x900.jpg is no longer available
Don't worry, it will be no different than the small work. It will just take longer. Actually it will probably be easier since the internal cuts/openings are larger. Go for it with no reservations.

My wife does it all the time. She has not done anything quite that large but she thinks the larger pieces are easier since the cuts don't have to be so precise.

The picture is of a couple of her crosses.
I really like the cross on the left. Does she still have the pattern? Would she be willing to share? :D

These are some of my more intricate designs so far. Reduced them to about 60% scale so those tiny internal cuttings (and those thorns... so tiny... so aggravating). So happy to enlarge something for a change.
heisrisen.jpg
heisrisen.jpg (362.37 KiB) Viewed 4666 times
easter gift.jpg
easter gift.jpg (203.73 KiB) Viewed 4666 times
-Beave