Time to organize the shop!

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Bruce
Platinum Member

Re: Time to organize the shop!

Post by Bruce »

Even if I have a place for everything, I still have to remember where that place is. :)
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Bruce wrote:Even if I have a place for everything, I still have to remember where that place is. :)
I use cabinets and drawers. Home made drawers are esy to hang on pegboard. Make shure it's 1/4" board.
The third Photo shows the square hooks used for hanging.
Then there's the cabinets - made from Shopsmith plans
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (112.25 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (135.78 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
HPIM1790.jpg
HPIM1790.jpg (124.46 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
cabinet inside.jpg
cabinet inside.jpg (125.66 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
Here's the larger cabinet:
HPIM1789.jpg
HPIM1789.jpg (128.88 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

You people who have a place for everything need to get out and do some shopping...... you should never enough have places to put things.

Ed
Last edited by reible on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Nice Charlese, my 1/4 peg board is white, for more light reflection and a better contrast of the tools. Can buy it that way, maybe 2$ a 4x8ft more a sheet here in WI.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

reible wrote:You people who have a place for everything need to get out and do some shopping...... you should never enough have places to put things.

Ed
I've definitely been shopping. And much stuff is still awaiting a proper place. BUT, I sure hope that is not a permanent condition!!! :eek:

Truth be told, my biggest project over the last several months has been adding better access, good lighting, structural upgrades, sturdy flooring, and an electric hoist to the attic space over my garage. It's not usable as workshop space itself, but it can hold a wholelottacrap that is currently consuming prime woodshop space. And also warehouse vintage machinery until it can be restored. :)
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

I know I may be hammering a point, back in the 80s, I did not do any WW, just hunting and reloading in my basement, 2 car garage and just a suburbanite, with the stuff in the garage. Helped a neighbor build a garden shed for his garage over flow. Back then with a cement slap and all was about 1K$, I was thinking the same, then I said, well after a K$ and fill that up too, what next??? So, did not build it, and clean up the crap in the garage.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Ah! but I've never bought a tool unless I really needed it ;)
Since outfitting my Shopsmith, I really don't need any more stuff.

Fancy or extremely accurate tools don't grab my attention, although I own a caliper than can measure in thousandths. I work with wood, not metal. Also tools that make woodworking "easier" are not needed. I'd rather spend money on wood!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

charlese wrote:Ah! but I've never bought a tool unless I really needed it ;)
Since outfitting my Shopsmith, I really don't need any more stuff.

Fancy or extremely accurate tools don't grab my attention, although I own a caliper than can measure in thousandths. I work with wood, not metal. Also tools that make woodworking "easier" are not needed. I'd rather spend money on wood!
I don't have enough experience to even voice an opinion in this topic, but I agree with this. I don't even want to do production work. The longer it takes me the better .... :o

I know that may be a wrong way of thinking, but it is currently my way of thinking .... :)
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

ERLover wrote:I know I may be hammering a point, back in the 80s, I did not do any WW, just hunting and reloading in my basement, 2 car garage and just a suburbanite, with the stuff in the garage. Helped a neighbor build a garden shed for his garage over flow. Back then with a cement slap and all was about 1K$, I was thinking the same, then I said, well after a K$ and fill that up too, what next??? So, did not build it, and clean up the crap in the garage.
Funny you should mention it, ERLover, but my MEK 12-gauge reloader and supplies are amongst the crap moving from the workshop up to the attic. I probably oughta sell it on eBay, but my 16 yr. old son is just now getting into shooting. We shot some sporting clays with my brother just last week, and danged if the whipper-snapper didn't out-shoot us both. Him beating me is no big shock, but my brother was once a competition shooter. Anyhow, with factory ammo cheap these days, reloading doesn't seem to provide nearly the bang for the buck that it once did. But I'd like for the boy to do some anyway, if only so that he will quit referring to shotgun shells as "bullets", once and for all. :o
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:
ERLover wrote:I know I may be hammering a point, back in the 80s, I did not do any WW, just hunting and reloading in my basement, 2 car garage and just a suburbanite, with the stuff in the garage. Helped a neighbor build a garden shed for his garage over flow. Back then with a cement slap and all was about 1K$, I was thinking the same, then I said, well after a K$ and fill that up too, what next??? So, did not build it, and clean up the crap in the garage.
Funny you should mention it, ERLover, but my MEK 12-gauge reloader and supplies are amongst the crap moving from the workshop up to the attic. I probably oughta sell it on eBay, but my 16 yr. old son is just now getting into shooting. We shot some sporting clays with my brother just last week, and danged if the whipper-snapper didn't out-shoot us both. Him beating me is no big shock, but my brother was once a competition shooter. Anyhow, with factory ammo cheap these days, reloading doesn't seem to provide nearly the bang for the buck that it once did. But I'd like for the boy to do some anyway, if only so that he will quit referring to shotgun shells as "bullets", once and for all. :o
Shhhhhh! Do not let on about slugs!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange