Time to organize the shop!

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Time to organize the shop!

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I don't think I'm the only one guilty of this. No, this is not my main work bench, that one is worse!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (46.08 KiB) Viewed 17930 times
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: Time to organize the shop!

Post by rpd »

ChrisNeilan wrote:I don't think I'm the only one guilty of this. No, this is not my main work bench, that one is worse!
It looks better than my shop, :o there is that big clear area to the left of the bench. :cool:
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

ChrisNeilan wrote:I don't think I'm the only one guilty of this. No, this is not my main work bench, that one is worse!
First, you need to have a place for everything. Second and most important, you need to have the discipline to put things away when you are done with them. I don't wait until the end of the shop time to put something away unless I am going to use the item again in the current session.

JMHO :)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

jsburger wrote:
First, you need to have a place for everything. Second and most important, you need to have the discipline to put things away when you are done with them. I don't wait until the end of the shop time to put something away unless I am going to use the item again in the current session.

That assumes you have all the needed storage! I don't! I will be building some in the coming months, however.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

First off, I am anal retentive, with that said, I had a 39ft sail boat, and lived on it for a year after my divorce, on a boat there is a place for everything, and everything in its place!!!!
My shop is the same, I dont have to waste time to look for something, because after its use it is put back where it is stored. Now a hand tool that is being used repetitively during a day is left laid out on the bench and may stay there over night if I am going to use it again the next day. It takes a bit of discipline at first, but is a time saver in the long run.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

jsburger wrote:

Exactly right! That is actually what I am in the middle of doing. New shelves going in now to store the SPT's. Cabinets being cleared out. If it has not been used in the last year (but might be used in the future) it goes into a storage tote. If it's junk, out it goes! I might (might) even dust the place! :D

Happy New Year to all!

Chris
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

ERLover wrote:First off, I am anal retentive, with that said, I had a 39ft sail boat, and lived on it for a year after my divorce, on a boat there is a place for everything, and everything in its place!!!!
My shop is the same, I dont have to waste time to look for something, because after its use it is put back where it is stored. Now a hand tool that is being used repetitively during a day is left laid out on the bench and may stay there over night if I am going to use it again the next day. It takes a bit of discipline at first, but is a time saver in the long run.
Yup... How many times today have I said, "where's that **&^*&$&% tape measure?" :confused:
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

algale wrote:
jsburger wrote:

That assumes you have all the needed storage! I don't! I will be building some in the coming months, however.
Well, of course. Is that because of the ASBTN? :) :)

In that case no problem Al. Just get on it. :)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

jsburger wrote: Well, of course. Is that because of the ASBTN? :) :)

In that case no problem Al. Just get on it. :)
Ha, yes! I need to store ASBTN, as you well-know! I also desperately need to create storage for all my tools in the workshop and build a proper bench with a proper vise or vises.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

ASBTN?