Segmented Urn

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Segmented Urn

Post by masonsailor2 »

We had a passing over the holiday. My mother passed on Christmas Day. In the family tradition a wooden urn needed to be done. My father performed this function for many years and many were turned on his SS Greenie and some on an ancient Oliver lathe. This is my second one, the first was for my father. It was not a sad passing at all with all her family there ! The woods are Paduak and Peruvian walnut. I got it all cut out glued up and sanded yesterday and today and will start turning tomorrow.
Paul
Attachments
SU1.jpg
SU1.jpg (224.77 KiB) Viewed 4650 times
SU2.jpg
SU2.jpg (297.8 KiB) Viewed 4650 times
SU3.jpg
SU3.jpg (332.45 KiB) Viewed 4650 times
SU4.jpg
SU4.jpg (244.43 KiB) Viewed 4650 times
SU5.jpg
SU5.jpg (225.5 KiB) Viewed 4650 times
SU6.jpg
SU6.jpg (256.39 KiB) Viewed 4650 times
SU7.jpg
SU7.jpg (210.51 KiB) Viewed 4650 times
SU8.jpg
SU8.jpg (215.85 KiB) Viewed 4650 times
SU9.jpg
SU9.jpg (280.68 KiB) Viewed 4650 times
artman60
Gold Member

Re: Segmented Urn

Post by artman60 »

My prayers are with you, for your loss. My Mom passed on Easter of 2014, I still have moments where I pick up the phone to tell her something. I would imagine the family tradition being passed on to you is an honor. My condolences.
The clock of life is wound but once.
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

My condolences. We almost lost ours this summer, but she is like a Timex watch, takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

First condolences, then I eagerly await the result of this labor of love.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

Sorry for your loss Paul. What a great tradition you carry on. I'll be watching.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I want to add my condolences, Paul. Even when it's their time has clearly come, losing a parent is not an easy thing.

Hand-making a wooden urn is a wonderful tradition -- I wish I had done it when my own mother passed a few years ago.

You really had me going with those contrasting "splines" -- I just couldn't see how they were adding any strength to that walnut ring. And then I realized that they would be little decorative crosses, when the urn is done. A very nice touch.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Sailor
My condolences on your loss. I know what you and yours are going through because my family was always saddened over the holidays by close relatives passing.
I like your sanding jig for flattening the rings. Very ingenious.
Did you use the Shopsmith with the sanding disc as a clamp when you glued the rings into the stack?
You said that you were not an experienced turner (myself not so much either) but if I can offer one suggestion if you have not turned the urn yet. You may want to soften the outside corners of the rings to prevent a catch when rounding it out.
I agree with Buckeye that the crosses are a very creative touch.
Bill V
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Sorry I gave that impression Bill. I have been turning pretty much from age 12 I think. I am third generation in turning and in woodworking !
Paul
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I use the SS as a press but don't use the disc. I usually use the chuck or a faceplate. I also a use various versions of a piece of all thread and a tee nut. As far as knocking off the edges on the rings I use either a coarse disc on a four inch side grinders or if its a big object I use a power carver wheel which makes fast work of it. In this case due to the cross detail I will have to go slow to prevent tearing it out. I considered using brass plate to create the cross but in the end opted for maple.
Paul
Attachments
Press1.jpg
Press1.jpg (227.72 KiB) Viewed 4498 times
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

My condolences, Paul. The urns are a great tribute to your loved ones.