Clamping Pad Issue

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Re: Clamping Pad Issue

Post by ERLover »

@JPG>12.7! :rolleyes:
Why did not say that right away????? ;)
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ERLover wrote:@JPG>12.7! :rolleyes:
Why did not say that right away????? ;)
'Hind sight'. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

So what are magnet cups (http://www.rockler.com/rare-earth-magnets-magnets) for if not to hold a magnet? Do you have to glue them into the cup?
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Bruce wrote:So what are magnet cups (http://www.rockler.com/rare-earth-magnets-magnets) for if not to hold a magnet? Do you have to glue them into the cup?
The cups focus the magnetic force increasing their effective power. The magnets do not need to be glued into the cup.
Here is a link to magnetic cup information from the Lee Valley web site.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/html/99k3310ie.pdf
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

What what I take on it you can put a magnet in it, if using for a latch ect and then the washer is the mating surface. At least thats I surmised from WoodCraft site, they describe the cup ID to be the same as the magnets OD and the cup has a ribbed OD to hold in a mating hole with a press fit to countersink the cup.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

ERLover wrote:What what I take on it you can put a magnet in it, if using for a latch ect and then the washer is the mating surface. At least thats I surmised from WoodCraft site, they describe the cup ID to be the same as the magnets OD and the cup has a ribbed OD to hold in a mating hole with a press fit to countersink the cup.
The 1/4" size are press fit in the hole, the larger sizes are attached with a screw before the magnet is installed.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... 42348&ap=1
Ron Dyck
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

So it looks like the cup is an option to gluing the magnet in the hole, and if you put a slot in the side of the cup, you can even remove the magnet if you so desire at a later date. Now, anyone know what the high-friction disk is for? Sorry Berry, I didn't intend to hijack your thread. Hopefully you have your answer.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Bruce wrote:So it looks like the cup is an option to gluing the magnet in the hole, and if you put a slot in the side of the cup, you can even remove the magnet if you so desire at a later date. Now, anyone know what the high-friction disk is for? Sorry Berry, I didn't intend to hijack your thread. Hopefully you have your answer.
This is the directions for the high-friction disks from the Lee Valley site.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/html/99k3904ie.pdf
Ron Dyck
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The magnets are typically(not always) magnetized axially. i.e. north pole on one end and the south pole on the opposite end.

The cups provide a magnetic path so there is both a north and a south pole at the outer surface of the cup/magnet. This creates a greater 'pull' than one pole alone. A steel/iron washer provides closure to the magnetic lines from the north pole to the south pole.

As if these things were not strong enough to begin with. :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange