Clamping Pad Issue

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

berry
Platinum Member

Clamping Pad Issue

Post by berry »

I use a few pipe clamps in my shop. A few years ago I read, in Wood Magazine a tip. It said you could easily made wood pads for pipe clamps and hold them in place with rare earth magnets. So I made them for my clamps. I glued the magnets into place with two part Loctite Epoxy. Three of the glue joints have failed, the magnets, coming out of the socket.

(pics attached) What did I do wrong?
Pipe 475.jpg
Pipe 475.jpg (64.68 KiB) Viewed 3613 times
Pipe 474.jpg
Pipe 474.jpg (85.83 KiB) Viewed 3613 times
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Clamping Pad Issue

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Here's some thoughts:
Did you clean the magnet well before gluing?
Are you gluing the sides of the magnet, and not just the back?
The pocket looks a bit oversized, although the epoxy should fill the gap. Does the magnet want a metric-size pocket?
Is the magnet proud of the pad? If so, the clamping forces might lead to glue-joint failure.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You are using a magnet far stronger than was available a few years back?

Glue a thin 'face' over the magnet?

Epoxy does not stick to a smooth chrome plated surface?

Super glue?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

I did not clean the magnets before gluing. But I'll try that next time.
The magnets sit slightly proud of the pad.
I'm pretty sure the magnets were Imperial sized, but not certain. I didn't think, and don't understand way, an oversize socket would matter?
I didn't try CA glue - I thought epoxy worked on everything?
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

I use rare earths alot, I use epoxy, I have had that issue on some applications and some not, I give them a slight buffing with 220 grit and clean with alcohol, seems to work the best. I love those beast.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You have to be very discerning regarding the size. 6 mm does not equal 1/2 inch, but you see them identified as such. Also, proud gives you greater holding force and greater pull out force when removing them.

Well fudd britches!!!!

I was not even close to what I was thinking about.

So "12mm does not equal 1/2" was what I previously encountered. :o
Last edited by JPG on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

JPG wrote:You have to be very discerning regarding the size. 6 mm does not equal 1/2 inch, but you see them identified as such. Also, proud gives you greater holding force and greater pull out force when removing them.
Not even close! :rolleyes: ;) :D
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Its more like 12mm :eek:
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ERLover wrote:Its more like 12mm :eek:

12.7! :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have glued in magnets like that with epoxy and they are still in place many years later. I wonder if the bond brakes when you use the clamps, with the magnet proud of the surface that is where the clamping force is going to be located and that being such a smaller area it will be quite concentrated at that point. It might be enough to cause what you are seeing.

BTW if anyone has problems with metric to imperial measurements or the other way you can google it.

Start typing in something like "6mm=i" and it will have the answer for you:
ScreenHunter_87 Jan. 29 18.28.jpg
ScreenHunter_87 Jan. 29 18.28.jpg (9.12 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
You can also do math:
ScreenHunter_88 Jan. 29 18.31.jpg
ScreenHunter_88 Jan. 29 18.31.jpg (33.05 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
So there is your tip for today.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]