Router Table Mounted on SS

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

c2h6o
Gold Member

Router Table Mounted on SS

Post by c2h6o »

I am exploring the idea of mounting a very good routing table with adjustable depth of cut function on to my SS on a as needed basis. Support/attach the table to the extension table and work table. Does anyone have experience or insight on the merits of this approach? I really want a very functional router table that I can use when needed-but don't have room for a permanent router table.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Router Table Mounted on SS

Post by everettdavis »

You can find some posts like http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 19#p179519

There are 60 posts in this thead which may give you some ideas https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 50#p162950

Also check out the PDF at www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/download/file.php?id=15539

There's several others you may search out in the forums as well.

If I find the one I am thinking of, I will update this post below with that link also.

Everett
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

c2h6o wrote:I am exploring the idea of mounting a very good routing table with adjustable depth of cut function on to my SS on a as needed basis. Support/attach the table to the extension table and work table. Does anyone have experience or insight on the merits of this approach? I really want a very functional router table that I can use when needed-but don't have room for a permanent router table.
I had an extra main table so I mounted my router to it. I can use the 510 fence I had.
This is my opinion.
Because I mounted the router directly to the table I have to remove it to store the setup. If I were to do over I would use a router mounting plate and just remove that from the table to store, allowing the router to remain connected to the plate.

Mounted to SS gives me options to use the aux tables to support work.

I have a great fence setup using MDF I build a dust collection system that works very well.

The whole setup is very solid and doesn't jump around.

If I was to do it again I would build my own table with fence rails that I could set on the SS. The table would use the fence setup I have. But it would an removable insert.

I guess what I'm describing is the ShopSmith Pro Fence setup table but I think I can execute it for far less that ShopSmith's $345.

Can't see how you could go wrong with this layout.
c2h6o
Gold Member

Post by c2h6o »

Ed-thank you. Sounds like a great set-up you have. How would you suggest holding a router table to the SS auxiliary and worktable, clamps, or ??
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

This is my solution for your dilemma. With this I have an Incra Fence with shop built split fence capability.

PS As it turns out, this is not going to be an ideal solution. With the addition of my I-Box, I now need a miter track that I do not have in this table. Easy enough to add, if the table remains sturdy (no sag).
Attachments
Router Table 001.JPG
Router Table 001.JPG (143.5 KiB) Viewed 16774 times
Last edited by dusty on Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

My first question is - "What is your budget?"

If you are willing to pay $350 plus shipping for the table (not including lift, etc.) then I think Dusty's solution is ideal. No fuss no muss and you are immediately ready to go!! :D

I took an INCRA melamine table I found on sale and butchered it so it fit the INCRA TS-LS system, however, If I paid myself $10 an hour for the design and engineering of it, it still cost me more than the $350.
97.JPG
97.JPG (808.96 KiB) Viewed 16735 times
It just sets on top of the tubes with the weight of the router plus table keeping it down (which works for me), but not nearly as secure as the SS version.
As was said above, there are multitudes of systems which have been designed.

Let your budget and imagination be your guide.

Be well,
Ben
c2h6o
Gold Member

Post by c2h6o »

I really like the set-up you have for your router table--I am pursing a similar design with a phenolic table. Unclear if I should support the table from below or tab holes in the side and support like yourself. I have some aluminum square bar stock that I would use for the first option--with the 3/4" phenolic table and the bar stock the router table is a very good height fit with the SS table. Appreciate your thoughts here--thank you
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

If you are gpoing to have router table failure, it will most likely be from sagging under the weight (router plus lift). With that in mind, build it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

You may be thinking of mine. I posted pics of a modified table I had where I cut out a section and installed a plate made of 1/2" lexan. I posted the pics two or three years ago but am unable to find the posts. Maybe they are too old.

Don G
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Start here

http://shopsmith.com/ss_forum/maintenan ... 3-s30.html

Your 'other' table is later in the thread.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange