Bandsaw Questions

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ssuel
Gold Member

Bandsaw Questions

Post by ssuel »

1. What type of spay adhesive are you using to apply paper templates to the wood being cut and how do you remove the paper and adhesive afterwards?

2. Did anyone make a pattern cutting jig like the one mentioned in ShopNotes No. 95 (September 2007) for cutting pattern on a ShopSmith Bandsaw? Did you make any variation that was well suited for the ShopSmith Bandsaw?

Thanks for your reply!!!!
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Bandsaw Questions

Post by algale »

ssuel wrote:1. What type of spay adhesive are you using to apply paper templates to the wood being cut and how do you remove the paper and adhesive afterwards? I have used 3M 77 spray adhesive. Light sanding to remove paper/adhesive.

2. Did anyone make a pattern cutting jig like the one mentioned in ShopNotes No. 95 (September 2007) for cutting pattern on a ShopSmith Bandsaw? Did you make any variation that was well suited for the ShopSmith Bandsaw? Sorry, know nothing about band saw pattern cutting jigs.

Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

ssuel wrote:1. What type of spay adhesive are you using to apply paper templates to the wood being cut and how do you remove the paper and adhesive afterwards?

I have been using 3M Super 77, because thats what I have on hand. It can be quite tenacious.
Something meant for non-permanent attachment, like a photo or craft mount spray would probably be better.

Some tricks
- only spray on the paper and let it dry before attaching to the wood.
- If it doesn't want to peel, use a rag/shop towel dampened with solvent/lacquer thinner/or acetone to dab the paper, it will soak through and soften the adhesive.
- saw this one on youtube but haven't tried it yet - put a layer of masking tape on the wood and then stick the pattern to the masking tape.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Another option: I frequently see advice to cover the pattern in clear packing tape for scroll sawing. It lubricates the blade. I suppose this could be used in place of a spray adhesive.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I've printed patterns directly onto full-sheet clear inkjet labels. Avery 8665, IIRC. Peel and stick to the wood, and it lubricates like the packing tape. Peels off easily when done.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Lately I have been using Loctite brand spray adhesive. It comes in light duty, perfect for removing from wood with minimal effort. Available at Lowes.
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:I've printed patterns directly onto full-sheet clear inkjet labels. Avery 8665, IIRC. Peel and stick to the wood, and it lubricates like the packing tape. Peels off easily when done.
Pretty sneaky!

ecom1
Gold Member

Post by ecom1 »

I wrap the wood in clear packing tape, then apply the pattern on top of the tape (spray or adhesive or rubber cement both work). This is usually good enough for bandsaw given single blade direction - for scroll saw, I often cover with another coat of packing tape to secure (blade moves up and down).

I have not made a template jig, but recall seeing one in Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone.
Ed

Shopsmith: 2 Mark V 510 (1988,1993), bandsaw, jointer, mounted planer, belt sander, scroll saw, strip sander, lathe duplicator, conical disc sander, biscuit joiner, free standing router table with Jointech IPM-1
Other stuff: Bosch glide mitre, Ridgid 13" planer, Rikon drill press, routers, drills, and other toys
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I use this stuff http://www.michaels.com/elmers-craftbon ... d|10196229
It can be used for a permanent OR temporary bonds.

Easily available at Michaels Craft store and less than $6 bucks.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

Same thing I do with my scroll saw, blue painters tape, spray adhesive (whatever I've picked up) sprayed to the printed or drawn paper pattern, and adhere that to the layer of blue tape, sometimes I use the clear tape for a lubricant but not always. Yellow adhesive tape is always too strong for the scroll work seems like. The really cheap painters tape is always too weak. Always clean the wood real good 1st. to much dust and none of the tapes want top stick.
Paul B